rayjay

Nitrous
Ride
2012 roadster
Just been looking at the spy photos of the allegedly new Trophy 1200..if this bike goes
into production and with the Thunderbird already out there..what will become of our
beloved Rocket.
The Trophy would have the touring end of the market covered and the Thunderbird
as got the cruiser end covered..don't forget that the Tbird as by normal standards a
big engine and i doubt very much that the Rocket would get the go ahead to be
put into production today
So where does this leave our baby..will she carry on or fade away
Your thoughts gentlemen

Rayjay

The Rocket is unique due to it's size & stature, true it is not loved by many but is admired by all. At the moment I think Triumph are living on this as a selling point " we make the biggest" type of thing. Nothing is forever & our beloved babies will become phased out & your right about them not being given the go ahead in these times & when demand falls far enough they will be stopped. I think America is where sales keep it viable today but how long for is anybody's guess. Here in the UK this government won't be too long in classing it as a 2 wheeled car (about right actually) & tax it to death. Even after the demise of the Rocket it's uniqueness will cause it to live on as the greatest bike produced, it is historic & will be legend. Years from now people will wonder how we rode them, some don't know now.

Got to agree with Jack.
I "HOPE" the Rocket stays around in various disguises for another twenty or thirty years,
but IF they discontinue our Rockets, then we have "the LEGEND" and i'll hang onto it.

I've ridden a lot of bikes over the past 46 years. The Rocket is a one of a kind bike as we all know. I think Triumph will be making this bike for many years to come. Promised my son that no matter what I decide to ride in the future the Rocket has his name on it. They are keepers for sure. 25 years from now these bikes are going to be like Vincent Black Shadows are today. Rare and worth a few bucks. JMHO:)

Yeah, but we won't be able to afford the fuel for them BC :D ....I also thought they'd never discontinue the Vulcan 2litre as it was a one of a kind, but guess what....they did this year.....apparently the market was buying the Kaw 1600/1700 motors. I've got my fingers crossed, but there's no doubt that most sales are for smaller, more economical motors...

Pete

yeah, but we won't be able to afford the fuel for them bc :d ....i also thought they'd never discontinue the vulcan 2litre as it was a one of a kind, but guess what....they did this year.....apparently the market was buying the kaw 1600/1700 motors. I've got my fingers crossed, but there's no doubt that most sales are for smaller, more economical motors...

Pete

The engine may have a decent valve train, dual spark plugs per cylinder and up to date electronics ... but really it's a dinosaur. It won't be long before a motor design comes along that surpasses the R3 in power AND low RPM torque in a smaller package. Sure as the sun rises technology will pass us by and pistons the diameter of melons won't be necessary.

Back