parallel

Often Beside Himself
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
How does one confirm that a bike is still under factory warranty from Triumph? I've purchased a bike that was advertised as having the factory warranty until July 29, 2018, but twice now he sales contract has shown up with a box checked beside "Original Manufacturer Warranty EXPIRED or NOT KNOWN."

When I got the electronic version of the sales contract (the one that I actually signed) I brought this to the attention of the sales guy who lined it out and entered the date that they said in the "Original Manufacturer Warranty (either new or remaining)" and checked that box then resent it to me.

I finally got the paperwork in the mail and lo and behold it's back to the original problem. I had asked them and they assured me hat the bike still had the factory warranty, but I don't trust them now and I would like to find out for myself from the horses mouth. Any help is very much appreciated.

Try calling another dealers' service dept. and give hem the last six digits of the vin they should be able to verify when the warranty expires.

How does one confirm that a bike is still under factory warranty from Triumph? I've purchased a bike that was advertised as having the factory warranty until July 29, 2018, but twice now he sales contract has shown up with a box checked beside "Original Manufacturer Warranty EXPIRED or NOT KNOWN."

When I got the electronic version of the sales contract (the one that I actually signed) I brought this to the attention of the sales guy who lined it out and entered the date that they said in the "Original Manufacturer Warranty (either new or remaining)" and checked that box then resent it to me.

I finally got the paperwork in the mail and lo and behold it's back to the original problem. I had asked them and they assured me hat the bike still had the factory warranty, but I don't trust them now and I would like to find out for myself from the horses mouth. Any help is very much appreciated.

Here is the answer as explained to me: If you bought the bike new, but technically used with less than around 50 miles on it, then it does have a full factory warranty. The thing is...Triumph had some extra 2015 R3T"s in the warehouse and wanted to get rid of them. They drove the bikes and put 25 or so miles on them so they had to be sold as used. The warranty actually started from the time they put the miles on them. They then auctioned them off to dealers and even a few others, to sell as new but used. The reason they did this....was because technically the bikes were used and the buyer couldn't take advantage of the Endless Summer Voucher Program where you could get up to $1,500 in vouchers for accessories for new bikes 2015 or earlier. You get a new bike at a super cut rate price, but no vouchers and a shortened warranty period.

You have a warranty, but it started well before you bought the bike. My warranty ends I believe in May of 2018, even though I bought the bike in late September. Basically, I'll have one riding season under factory warranty, but I knew that when I bought the bike. Hopefully you got a good deal and I hope this explains how the program worked.

Bought new but used WTF is that:eek:if a snake oil salesman tried that on me I would at a very minimum demand 35% knocked off the bike for depreciation, call triumph in Atlanta and ask them.

Sorry, but that's the way they were sold. Why do you think you can find 2015 R3T's on the internet for 11,500 or sometimes less. Let's see $19,300.00 minus 35% is $12,545.00. Yup, you got your wish...go make a deal.

In the USA a bike is considered new until it is titled for the first time. Zero miles or a thousand miles it is still new if not titled. The warranty clock should not start until it is sold.

Sorry, but that's the way they were sold. Why do you think you can find 2015 R3T's on the internet for 11,500 or sometimes less. Let's see $19,300.00 minus 35% is $12,545.00. Yup, you got your wish...go make a deal.

I would have to strip the bike if I bought one first to go would be the windshield I already have a cage next would be the bags then convert the every looking bike rear wheel to a 240 will raise the price to much for me and on top of all that my wife would Effie kill me if I brought another bike home for some strange reason she thinks six is tooooooo much:D

I've bought so called auction bikes from Yamaha, Triumph, Kawasaki, and BMW over the years. I am in the US.

Somehow BMW was able to start warranties before the final sale to consumers.

Triumph and Yamaha have given full factory warranties concurrent with the final sale to a consumer.

Kawasaki has been mixed between full factory warranty, and no factory warranty. Sometimes the Kawasakis have been bundled with aftermarket warranties.

Aftermarket warranties are marked up by a huge multiplier, so dealer cost is usually not too much compared to an auction bike's price.

In any event, as someone else pointed out, call a dealer's service department and ask when the warranty expires. They can look it up.

added:

Since this "new used" stuff is showing up in other threads, I thought I'd add a bit more here.

The 2015 R3Ts that I looked at this past month were on Triumph's floor plan, were fully eligible for the $2000 rebate offered by Triumph on new 2015 R3Ts (if the price is very low the rebate is being assigned to the dealer), and have not yet had their "in service" date established.

The key to when the warranty starts is the in service date. Once the bike is in service, the warranty starts. The bike does not have to be sold to a final end user for the in service date to be activated.

On these leftover 2015s, most of them had not been put in service at the time of sale as we approach the end of 2016. The rebates continue until 12/31. After that, all bets are off ... but if the bike is on the floor plan, Triumph still owns it, and those bikes may end up as auction bikes after 12/31.

There is no way to know without asking for details from the dealer.
But if the bike is sold as new, and titled as new, and qualifies for the rebate, and gets a full factory warranty from Triumph, I'd say it would be hard to argue that it is "new used." That's just noise on the signal.

Last edited:
The bike that I bought had been titled to an auction house in Georgia and was listed specifically as used but with the remaining warranty. The warranty had been activated in July 2016 and is good through July 29, 2018. The only issue I had is hat this was NOT shown on the bill of sale.

Back