Extended Warranty??

Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
I was in the dealership yesterday picking up my new TOR's pipes when a nice lady kindly reminded me that my factory warranty is coming due. They offered me an extended warranty for up to four years for about $1700 Canadian.

I was reading over ALL the fine print and it seems to cover anything that is touched by oil except the clutch, electrical, drive train.... Etc. pretty much everything minus the normal wear and tear items.

I don't normally purchase extended warranty services due to past experiences and normally my vehicles have all made it past 6 years without fault. Knock on wood. I feel the Rocket is a pretty solid gal, I can get a fair number of repairs done for $1700 bucks if need be, all that said, I read about detent springs, ignition, output bearings etc. Anyone out there purchase extended warranty services from the dealerships?

Do you think it's worth the cost?
Cheers

I'll be in a similar situation with the same bike eventually. Have you considered shopping around for a third-party warranty? There are plenty of options out there, just search for something like "motorcycle extended warranty". You could also call your preferred service center and ask them for their top 3 warranty companies (in terms of ease to deal with, honesty, actual coverage, etc.) then get apples-to-apples quotes from them. The one offered by your dealer on the financing side of the house can often cost 2-3x as much as others for the same coverage.

You shouldn't have problems, and as you say, $1,700 buys a lot of repairs. If you can do the work yourself then it buys even more. e.g. The detent spring will cost less than $40 if you do the work yourself - and it is a reasonably easy job, but about 4 hours work. The output bearing problem was primarily on early bikes, so should not be an issue for you. Besides, they may claim that it is a part of the drive train, along with the bevel box.

The other thing to check in the fine print is the service requirements. They may require that the regular and correct maintenance be done by the dealer - and done on time. If that is the case, then the cost of the policy suddenly just got a lot more expensive.

The other thing to check in the fine print is the service requirements. They may require that the regular and correct maintenance be done by the dealer - and done on time. If that is the case, then the cost of the policy suddenly just got a lot more expensive.

You are indeed correct, even if I do my own oil changes the extended warranty is void..... I'll just stick to doing things myself with a little help from my friends.
Cheers

I've had 5 and 4 extra year extended warrantees on my first Rocket and T-Bird, for less than $800 US each time, when I purchased the bikes. $1700 is excessive. Is it because you didn't buy it when you bought the bike. As far as aholes go, it depends mainly on your dealer and if he'll go to bat for you.

I purchased the extended warranty when I bought my bike. The regular warranty was 2 years unlimited and I purchased an additional 3 years for $975 for a total of 5 years of warranty.

I never buy the extended warranty on anything except for a new vehicle I just purchased. It added 4 years to the factory warranty and is fully refundable if you don't use it at all. Make a claim for any amount and you get no refund. I read through it and asked a tone of questions....seems like a good deal in case I drop the tranny or something expensive otherwise I will just pay for any repairs myself. The warranty was $2700.

Back