Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
I think I may have asked this when I first joined the board...but what is the verdict on the exposed air filters (K&N, whoever else). I'm a little leery about chopping the bearclaw but the exposed look does look pretty good.

My question is how functional are they in a heavy driving downpour, is there a concern there? As some of my Florida riding buddies know I am no stranger to an occasional rain storm when I ride. But I don't want to be limited in my riding time (when I am home and riding) if I have to be careful of being caught out in the rain with the exposed air filter set up.

Any "seat time" knowledge of this would be appreciated.

One more thing if I went that route does Triumph have a tune for just those type of air filters and stock exhaust system set up?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

If I decide to go that route...that's good news.

So I take it that if I just add the K&N's and keep the exhaust stock that it will be deficient in performance if I do not get a Tuneboy or PCIII/V because it needs an adjustment tune regardless?

I also think I remember there is some "aural" improvement (or at least you hear the engine more) with these filters...is that true also?

Dennis

31 dtg Dubai
32 dtg Home

I think it would be too lean even with the stock exhaust on it. I really doubt you would gain much performance-wise with just the triples. If anything just getting a Tuneboy and staying completely stock with intake and exhaust would get more noticeable gains.

As P9R said, don't change to the triple filters without a PC or Tuneboy tune. The first tune Wayne sent me for the R3T with triple filters and aftermarket exhaust had added a considerable amount of fuel. When I put it on a dyno it was still running very lean, even more fuel was needed. A stock tune would likely have it running so lean that you'd probably damage the engine in short order. With the K&Ns installed you will hear more intake noise. Kind of a giant sucking sound whenever you crack the throttle.

Thanks guys, I'll keep all this under consideration especially if I decide to keep the Rocket I have.

Dennis

31 dtg Dubai
32 dtg Home

Yeah, the whole idea behind triple filters is so it breathes better, that extra air makes extra exhaust and it has to go somewhere. That necessitates lower restriction exhaust. The extra air coming and going makes for a hotter flame front and more fuel cools the cylinders and makes additional power. You can't do one without the others or you won't see any benefit, possibly only extra wear and damage. It's not all so critical that you have to add the parts in the parking lot where you are going to have it all properly tuned, but I wouldn't advise going on any trips between doing the mods and tuning the fuel delivery.
Hell, what water that penetrates the filters from spray or dirrect rain will just enter the throttlebodies as particles anyway, nothing to be concerned about. We used to purposely spray water from a nozzel into the webber carb on our turbo SVO to solve a detonation problem. Sure kept the valves and cyl head clean as a result.

Last edited:
It would like to do it. It never rains here. The problem is cutting the bearclaw and buying a spare. How much are they?

Back