Experience with paint

Brenner

Living the dream
Ride
2008 Rocket Touring
I didn't quite know where to put this query but it is a general triumph question so I dropped it here. Okay so since acquiring my new to me ride I have been trying to make her look appealing. As I have been doing so I have always looked at those who have the R3T with the added fairing and tour pak. I've read many threads and understand that Triumph does not have options for what I am looking for. In my past collection of pieces from previous rides I have a pretty nice tour pak from an 80's full size yamaha that has a nice shape to it and I also have a batwing from a parted Harley in a box I bought years ago. With what I have and the price of buying new I think I am going to fabricate, paint, and prep, a set up for my new ride. Sadly my tour pak when acquired would of matched my bikes current color but I changed it years ago to match my then current ride. So long story short I am inquiring on those that might know, or who have experience on where to find paint of factory shading and quality. I am looking for the colors Eclipse Blue, and Azure Blue. My concern is that the eclipse blue on the touring is a pearl color and I would like that to be replicated on my accessories. I have read somewhere that the company that made the paint for this model has been bought out and I am unsure of where to find a near match. Anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction? I lok forward to hearing any advice.

Have done that before at my local NAPA on a previous project and they wee less than optimistic when it came to pearl colors. Might have been the parts person but even when they mixed a test batch it didn't look very close.

Have done that before at my local NAPA on a previous project and they wee less than optimistic when it came to pearl colors. Might have been the parts person but even when they mixed a test batch it didn't look very close.

Don't use NAPA. Use a dedicated automotive paint supply store that only does paint supplies.
With a pearl color (3 stage) you will not know what it's going to look like until it is sprayed out. Because the first stage is the base color, second stage is the pearl overcoat, third is the clear & you will not know if it's right until sprayed out on a test card. Use PPG or Sikkens paint product for easy to match systems.

Good advice and right you are. Also I am unsure of what ground coat to use when value shading to get the base coat right. I just might PM Rick Morris for a little advice as I do know of a local PPG supplier. I am not a stranger to paint as I have painted my bikes and cars etc.. over the last 10 years with great success on single stage and two stage paint but I am no professional.

Good advice and right you are. Also I am unsure of what ground coat to use when value shading to get the base coat right. I just might PM Rick Morris for a little advice as I do know of a local PPG supplier. I am not a stranger to paint as I have painted my bikes and cars etc.. over the last 10 years with great success on single stage and two stage paint but I am no professional.

Have you tried ?

I didn't quite know where to put this query but it is a general triumph question so I dropped it here. Okay so since acquiring my new to me ride I have been trying to make her look appealing. As I have been doing so I have always looked at those who have the R3T with the added fairing and tour pak. I've read many threads and understand that Triumph does not have options for what I am looking for. In my past collection of pieces from previous rides I have a pretty nice tour pak from an 80's full size yamaha that has a nice shape to it and I also have a batwing from a parted Harley in a box I bought years ago. With what I have and the price of buying new I think I am going to fabricate, paint, and prep, a set up for my new ride. Sadly my tour pak when acquired would of matched my bikes current color but I changed it years ago to match my then current ride. So long story short I am inquiring on those that might know, or who have experience on where to find paint of factory shading and quality. I am looking for the colors Eclipse Blue, and Azure Blue. My concern is that the eclipse blue on the touring is a pearl color and I would like that to be replicated on my accessories. I have read somewhere that the company that made the paint for this model has been bought out and I am unsure of where to find a near match. Anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction? I lok forward to hearing any advice.
EasTex is correct. You will have better luck at a supplier that is focused on paint. I would go to the PPG supplier you know and have them take a camera shot. The color with the pearl and mica in it may be a base coat color. I think I am familiar with the two colors you mentioned and I do not believe they are tri coat or pearl colors. They just have mica and pearl in them. I may be wrong. But any good paint store can help you, now will they is a different story altogether.

EasTex is correct. You will have better luck at a supplier that is focused on paint. I would go to the PPG supplier you know and have them take a camera shot. The color with the pearl and mica in it may be a base coat color. I think I am familiar with the two colors you mentioned and I do not believe they are tri coat or pearl colors. They just have mica and pearl in them. I may be wrong. But any good paint store can help you, now will they is a different story altogether.

Yep Rick, I missed that on the blues he was referring to. The Azure blue is huge bet on being a normal two stage color with the pearl mica in with the base coat. There a very very few blues that are actual three stage colors.
@Brenner take it to the local PPG store & let them photo match it. Should be dead on :thumbsup:

Back