LAS VEGAS DAVE

Turbocharged
Ride
V8 CHOPPER, BOSS HOSS, 2015 ROCKET 3 TOURING
My "check engine light " came on last weekend while we were in Los Angeles on a ride to the beach. I trailered it back to Las Vegas and dropped it at the dealer here on Tuesday. They called me today and said the code was for something wrong with one of the throttle bodies. They said the whole throttle body assembly would have to be replaced not able to do just one! They are waiting for warranty authorization. I asked how much it would cost if they won't warranty it and was told over 3000 dollars! The bike has only 4000 miles on it. I would imagine it will be warranted but I am not sure yet. I love this bike but can't believe its already having this big of a problem.

If he bike's under warranty, they'll cover it. I saw a 2014 Roadster throttle body assembly on eBay for less than $400. $3k sounds really steep. What's wrong with it?

I can't see what can go wrong on a throttle body , surely they are just castings fitted with components? Mostly mechanical and some electronic but nearly all either serviceable or replaceable ! That's the trouble with most main dealers nowadays , they employ ' fitters ' as opposed to mechanics. Rather than track down a problem and repair it , they would rather just junk and replace a whole system usually at great expense to the owner ! I would be really interested in hearing the outcome of this and their reasoning behind it . I hope you get this sorted Las Vegas dave and especially at no expense to yourself ?

It seems to be a hit or miss deal on buying new Rockets. It should not be this way at all. Engine blocks that leak, Bad throttle body assemblies, Leaks in valve cover gaskets and oil tanks that leak etc. Quality control problems? Almost forgot about all the posts on transmission problems. I have been lucky so far but time will tell. I would really like to re-tune the X and buy a good exhaust and air supply system but will wait until after the warranty expires. No reason to take the chance of the bike screwing up and have the warranty voided due to mods to the engine. I would be pissed Dave if that had happen to me. Hope it all works out for you. Keep us all updated.

It seems to be a hit or miss deal on buying new Rockets. It should not be this way at all. Engine blocks that leak, Bad throttle body assemblies, Leaks in valve cover gaskets and oil tanks that leak etc. Quality control problems? Almost forgot about all the posts on transmission problems. I have been lucky so far but time will tell. I would really like to re-tune the X and buy a good exhaust and air supply system but will wait until after the warranty expires. No reason to take the chance of the bike screwing up and have the warranty voided due to mods to the engine. I would be pissed Dave if that had happen to me. Hope it all works out for you. Keep us all updated.
YEP all the Forums regardless of the make of bike are filled with complaints so thats normal for all vehicals

The latest info is: The secondaries are not working properly, in order to get the parts a whole new throttle body is required. The code that showed is P0638 which supposedly means there is a throttle body problem. No word as of yet if the warranty will cover it but he said it normally takes 3 or 4 days for it to be accepted or not. I am lucky to have the Boss Hoss while the Rocket gets sorted out. Is it a big job to replace the throttle body?

I'd be seriously concerned this dealer knows what they are doing.
If it had a check engine light, then it had to be an active component - a "throttle body" issue cannot set a code; that means either of the TPS, the ISCV or injectors.
If is something associated with the fitment of any of those components, you would have to believe they broke it, rather than something that began as the prime mover.
I'd be curious as to what the initial failure code was.

The good part is your bike is under warranty, so it's Triumphs money they are playing with.

edit - OK, your update posted while I was composing.
I guess it could be the secondary throttle valve actuator and don't believe that is a separate part
So my apologies for doubt - guess it makes sense if that indeed is the offending part

Last edited:
Back