exhaust tube ZARD 3/1 -Rocket Roadster

romroxy

Standard Bore
Hi everybody,

I just mounted a 3/1 black ZARD on my Triumph RIII Rocket roadster.

After 2 mn riding the heat on my hankle is so strong and that's impossible to support after 10 mn..
That's seems incredible from a company like Zard to let on the market a product which is impossible to use as there are no protections against the excessive heat from the exhaust .
I put straps on the pipe but quite same result...
Do any oy you had a similar experience and do you know if it's possible to resolve this problem?

Thanks for your answers.
Alain

Hi Alain, and welcome to the forum.

Not sure that you will get too much useful information on Zards, as their initial underslung type of exhaust was not that popular with the Rocket fraternity that I know, after reports were made about the expense of them, and the power losses experienced after fitting them.

Will be interested to see if anyone can add to this, though.

Hi Barry,

Thank u for your interest for this case.
I'll let know any informations about this problem on the forum - At least I hope Zard company'll react about this because untill no now no signs of life...

Alain - It will be interesting to see if Zard say anything.

As Tom has said the early systems were reputed to reduce power so not many of us use Zard. I nearly bought an €-marked Zard to avoid road test issues here in Spain - but eventually went for some American pipes that I know I'll have to remove for testing.

The later 3-1 pipes do not have any heat shield so I'm sure Zard will just say that's why they get hot and that you should have seen this. BUT - I have 2 questions for you.

1) Do you have an "€-approved" pipe or a race pipe from Zard?
2) Have you adjusted the fuel settings to match the pipe? - this will be especially important if you have a race pipe.

The standard Triumph fuel maps are designed for their restrictive factory pipes. An open pipe could allow the engine to run lean and the pipes could get hotter as a result.

The Triumph dealer I now have to use is also a Zard importer.

I got the impression from the workshop that they don't sell many.

You might be running way lean if the Zard is a freer flowing exhaust than your stock set up. You can' t just bolt it on, you have to have a means to adjust the fuel mixture to match. Wether that be an add on unit such as a Power Commander, or using TuneECU or TuneBoy software from a laptop.

Oh.. and I don't think Owl's name is Barry.. lol He is quoting Barry Sheene in his signature.. Barry Sheene was a top motorcycle racer in the late 70's.. :)

I'm not proud - I'll answer to anything :D

1- I don't know about € apprved
2- my Triumph dealer did it - unsuccesfully :cry:

We'll try with heat shields
I'll tell u!...

Back