Exhaust setup and tune questions

BigBlockRocket

.060 Over
New member here, first time poster, and potential new R3R owner. Man oh man, I'm still looking at scooters but as far as the R3R goes, I'll have to quote the old Eddie Money tune by saying, "I think I'm in love"! Lots of good people in here with a ton of great info and some **** fine stories too!

I've been trolling the forums lately doing a lot of reading regarding aftermarket exhausts for the R3R and I have a few questions for the experts here(concerning the new 2013 de-limited R3R):

1. I know the stock mufflers have cats but what's in the "collector" box under the bike?
2. I'm looking into installing the TORs cans but based on question #1, is it recommended I do anything regarding the collector box to tweek better sound, HP, and torque (i.e replace it, leave it as is, etc.)?
3. I'm thinking about doing the TOR cans, K&N triples, PC5 tune, and maybe a dyno. Monies are a little tight so I'm not sure I can do the tune right away. I'm hoping I can save some $$ without it by using a good map. I know the maps out there are generic for certain setups and not specific to my bike but I'm hoping they'll be close enough to get me set up and running smooth and strong...though I know it's always a good idea to dyno. One problem I've found is that there aren't any PC5 maps for the TORs/filters. I only see some for stock setups and the Jardines. I know some members here have some tweaked TuneECU maps for this setup and if so, I may go that route and save even more money by not having to buy PC5. Any recommendations on these ideas/options?
4. If I install the K&Ns, do I need to modify the claw to expose the filters more or is it OK to leave it alone? Oh...and I can't find the triples on the K&N site for the 2013 R3R. Where do I get them?

Thanks mucho grassy ass for any help you can offer me guys. :eek:

1. I know the stock mufflers have cats but what's in the "collector" box under the bike?
2. I'm looking into installing the TORs cans but based on question #1, is it recommended I do anything regarding the collector box to tweek better sound, HP, and torque (i.e replace it, leave it as is, etc.)?
3. I'm thinking about doing the TOR cans, K&N triples, PC5 tune, and maybe a dyno. Monies are a little tight so I'm not sure I can do the tune right away. I'm hoping I can save some $$ without it by using a good map. I know the maps out there are generic for certain setups and not specific to my bike but I'm hoping they'll be close enough to get me set up and running smooth and strong...though I know it's always a good idea to dyno. One problem I've found is that there aren't any PC5 maps for the TORs/filters. I only see some for stock setups and the Jardines. I know some members here have some tweaked TuneECU maps for this setup and if so, I may go that route and save even more money by not having to buy PC5. Any recommendations on these ideas/options?
4. If I install the K&Ns, do I need to modify the claw to expose the filters more or is it OK to leave it alone? Oh...and I can't find the triples on the K&N site for the 2013 R3R. Where do I get them?

Thanks mucho grassy ass for any help you can offer me guys. :eek:

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks here to help you out. There will be more informed responses as folks come along but here's my $0.02:

1.) There is a thread on the forum where someone cut one open and posted pics, but to the best of my recollection the only thing in the box are some baffles, etc.
2.) IMHO the best way to get more HP is to get rid of the entire system from the headers back and replace with a new system. You have more HP than almost anything on the road right out of the box though so you may want to ride it for a while before mods.
3.) I use TuneECU to tweak the ECU and a PCV with Auto Tune for fuel management. The master PCV guy on this site is Hanso. I'm running his map now and love it.
4.) Either way on the K&N's I'm told. I cut mine and it looks great. http://www.flipmeisters.com/ sells the complete kit. He is a member on this site as well.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the site...

Ride the Rocket for awhile before playing with it..I think the Roadster will keep you happy for awhile...What I mean by that is that stupid grin you will have on your face for a while.

The longer you wait....the more you will regret it later:D

Yep..I'm stoked. But, I'm a performance nut and I get a kick out doing all my research and prepping the bike with some goodies before I even throw a leg over the first time. Makes the anticipation and the thrill of the first ride that much more! Plus the dealer I'm talking to said they'd give me a 10% discount on all the aftermarket parts if they do the labor. So...I'll just rack up some nice goodies and roll them into the financing, such as the exhaust stuff I'm asking about. But not PC5 though. They don't do any PC5 tunes but they recommended someone in the area who will if I go that route. Anyway, I can get some good toys to add on right from the start and won't have to come out of my pocket with wads of cash that way. Of course, I'll still need to break the wallet out for some things but hey, if I can get a good portion of the upgrades on the bike and into the financing....sounds like a good deal to me. I'm goin' for it!

Keep the replies coming folks. I need all the info and opinions I can get.

Welcome from Germany (by way of Mississippi)!!
What Tex said, lol!
I rode my classic for 5 years before I got the mod bug. This is one of the few bikes that comes stock with so much performance you don't need anything to really improve it right away.
If you're going to ride long distances, the first thing you may want to think about changing is the seat :confused:
As for the claw mod, it depends on which filters you go with. The most popular ones (2780s) will fit under without any mods. Just depends on what you want. Anything has to be better than the underseat stock setup!

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Much appreciated!

I am seriously considering doing the exhaust mods up front but it's not a done deal yet. I'm still researching and learning and all this will help me make a decision. Like I said, I'd like to go ahead and take advantage of doing it up front so I can roll it into the financing.

So, on the filters, if I add the triples under the claw, do I need any other parts for this operation and what do I do with the under seat filter (if anything)?

So, on the filters, if I add the triples under the claw, do I need any other parts for this operation and what do I do with the under seat filter (if anything)?

If you order from Flip, he'll make sure you have all 5 filters. You really won't need anything else. As for under the seat...congratulations on your new tool box, rain jacket storage, radiator overflow reservoir holder, or any of the other myriad of things you can think of to use it for :D
Will they roll the Jardines into your financing? Or are you talking strictly TORS?

My preference between TORs and Jars was to go with Jars...but a word of warning...Jardine was bought out recently and they are Holy $hit back logged. I paid for mine in January and they aren't supposed to ship until May 20

One other thing...If you are looking for pure performance out of the exhaust you should look at Carpenter Racing and Reband.

Aha! I'll have new space under the seat then. Might make me a mini beer cooler in there.

From what I understand, they will roll the Jardines in the financing BUT...although I know I'll get the best performance gains with the Jardines, I've heard them on YouTube (and seen posts here) and they seem to be quite loud. I do want more grunt from stock but I don't want it too obnoxious. I might be overstating this since I haven't heard them "live". Plus, I think the Tors are about $500 and the jars run about $1400. I'm not sure if the performance gains with the Jars (and the noise) is worth the $900 difference(?). The dealer won't do any PC5 or similar type maps (just the modded TORs mapping) so they won't roll it into the financing but they recommend me to a local race shop that does this kind of work. The shop has a dyno and uses PC5. I found PC5 for about $370 online and will have to pay them probably around $250-300 for the mapping and dyno testing (if all goes smoothly). These costs will come out of my pocket. However, from what I've read here on the forums, I can get TuneECU for free, buy the $20 cable, and talk to some kind members about getting a map for either setup (triples and the TORs or Jardines). I'm computer literate but I've never used the software or worked on a bike in this manner, particularly on a brand new one I just dropped a boat-load of money on. I sure don't want to screw it up right off the bat. Though saving the cost for PC5 is a good thing, I'm also assuming I can't get the dyno done there since they use PC5 and they couldn't tweak the TuneECU mapping based on the dyno tests. And I keep hearing that with a mod like I'm doing...dyno testing is really a good idea.

I'm trying to sort it all out in my head and my wallet to see which way will be the best all-round direction to go. :cool:

Back