Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
I am trying to familiarize myself with the whole mapping thing and i am going to pull the seat and things off to see what, if anything the previous owner has done to the airbox and intake. I am guessing nothing has been modified.

I will eventually be able to get some mods done, but with just getting this bike, the wife (keeper of the money....) would like me to wait a bit and get a couple good rides in to see what I think I would like to do.

Now, I am used to being on a bike that is a deep toned V-Twin and has that loud lugging sound that noone wants to ride behind me on a long haul.

I am aware that sound cannot and will not come from a Rocket, but what can I do inexpensively to modify the sound to be maybe a little deeper and louder.

Can I remove the baffles in the pipes that are on it or will that cause issues. Of course the other bike had aftermarket pipes where I pulled the baffles and had to rejet the Carbs on it, but this is my first injected bike. If i pulled the baffles just to see how it sounds will that hurt anything?

Thanks in advance.

The bike runs quite lean as is, and pulling the baffles will just make it worse. Fortunately remapping is not difficult and numerous tunes can be had. @HansO is our resident guru with regard to what would suit a particular setup. TuneECU software is your friend. Personally I don't care for noise just for the sake of noise, but if the bike gets noisey as a result of some other pursuit...so be it.

I am aware that sound cannot and will not come from a Rocket, but what can I do inexpensively to modify the sound to be maybe a little deeper and louder.

And please tell us the fool who told you this:eek::D obviously from someone who knows nothing about the Rockets, quite a few pipes for the Rocket now if you are looking for power you have CES and Viking both good looking exhaust systems now if you are after pure power and loud semi ugly pipes go the Carpenter route with no baffle.

And please tell us the fool who told you this:eek::D obviously from someone who knows nothing about the Rockets, quite a few pipes for the Rocket now if you are looking for power you have CES and Viking both good looking exhaust systems now if you are after pure power and loud semi ugly pipes go the Carpenter route with no baffle.
By "that sound", I believe he's referring to the vtwin sound. That's true, but the low deep rumble from the Carpenter pipe has been called vicious, and wicked sounding by a couple of Harley riders I know. And even though it's considered loud to some Rocket owners, it's still not as loud as any Harley running open pipes.

By "that sound", I believe he's referring to the vtwin sound. That's true, but the low deep rumble from the Carpenter pipe has been called vicious, and wicked sounding by a couple of Harley riders I know. And even though it's considered loud to some Rocket owners, it's still not as loud as any Harley running open pipes.

what does a Carpenter exhaust look like that makes them "ugly"?

Have pictures of the CES or Viking?

Jeremy, here's some shots of my (Viking) systems.

Firstly, Sonny's X with the Satin Black 3 into 1 system.

60372_ceff1e6e71c0c87c94a1ebfcb048ca83.jpg

The same system n the Polished Aluminium.

IMG_0362.JPG

The Twin Muffler "slip onto the stock header" System, this can also accept my header as above.

aaa.jpg

B.jpg

And my "Single Muffler" slip on.

AA.jpg

We need to update that pic. Those chrome turn signals are ugly. After this next round of upgrades will include pic of fly-screen blacked out. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I am trying to familiarize myself with the whole mapping thing and i am going to pull the seat and things off to see what, if anything the previous owner has done to the airbox and intake. I am guessing nothing has been modified.

I will eventually be able to get some mods done, but with just getting this bike, the wife (keeper of the money....) would like me to wait a bit and get a couple good rides in to see what I think I would like to do.

Now, I am used to being on a bike that is a deep toned V-Twin and has that loud lugging sound that noone wants to ride behind me on a long haul.

Can I remove the baffles in the pipes that are on it or will that cause issues. Of course the other bike had aftermarket pipes where I pulled the baffles and had to rejet the Carbs on it, but this is my first injected bike. If i pulled the baffles just to see how it sounds will that hurt anything?

Thanks in advance.
WTF. When i get it on the Highway a few folks have pulled up beside me (WHEN I LET THEM) and have complimented the sound of the Rocket with the Ramair and Viking exhaust.Nothing but thumbs up. Even when getting gas at the local convenient store I have had nothing but compliments on how it sounds. Mean rich and Nasty. Unlike a annoying Harley IMG_0063.JPG Mean CHEAP and a Puss. :eek::eek::eek::eek::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Okay what Steel said makes sense:D silly me thinking that you thought the Rockets were quiet well in stock form they do sound like a high powered sewing machine:eek::D
Here is a picture of the Carpenter Sidewinder Full Exhaust System, the Carp system is a 2" system which seems to be the largest on the market just now.

IMG_2099.JPG

Back