Danger Mouse

Standard Bore
Probably a dumb question or it has a mountain of info on here somewhere how to do this.

Is there an easy way to modify the exhaust ( noise wise ) on an 09 model R3. I am just finding it way to quiet, My wife sewing machine makes more noise.

Or do I have to go thru and modify a heap of components not just the pipes.

I ask 'cause i have never played with exhaust mods before

Any help would be great

I agree the stocker does sound like a sewing machine. Have you looked at Jardines or, Heaven forbid, PREDATORS??? If you would not mind some performance increase in addition to noise increase those are two fine choices. The PREDATORS would be custom, of course, made one at a time by TravelGuy.

Of course if you also did the triple K&N filter conversion, which costs just a little over $100 if you do it yourself, as I - with my eleven thumbs - did, using MiamiDave's incredibly detailed and illustrated step by step how-to ), that might just add a few ponies and will definitely add some queer noises to your machine. That mod meshes extremely well with either and both of those exhaust mods above.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put a cat-delete got it from the states (North County Yamaha, So Cal, USA, they also sell Triumph) for ($435 including postage) half the aussie cost ($800 local dealer) and it sounds great, deeper not to much louder but more fruity and won't have the cops pulling you up sounds more like bikes used to (early 70s) before the world went noise and pollution crazy

North County Yamaha has a nice shop. I had my TPS replaced there.

Yes, I had a cat-delete with both my original pipes (the sewing machine ones) and TORS (which are louder) but with Predators or Jardines the cat-delete is not necessary.

Is your '09 a Touring model? I think those have the catalytic converters in the exhaust pipes don't they? Mine is an '05 standard. Both the standard and classic have catalytic converters in line prior to the exhaust pipes.

Cat bypass, Tors, tuneboy & ideally a dyno tune, but one of the downloadable tunes for that set up will do.. Thats the easiest & cheap option for a potential 145hp/150Tq ( if dynoed & triple filters used) proper sounding bike.
Want more, then you have to change the crappy header system. The easiest option then; would be Jardines, but yeah they're pretty dam loud!! :lol: or preds if Sam does another batch. A few guys ( myself included) have gone for custom built balanced headers, but it can get expensive making one offs.
Might also want to wait on what Sam is doing with his " thugs" if they become available, you will get a much better end can than the Tors.

North County Yamaha has a nice shop. I had my TPS replaced there.

Yes, I had a cat-delete with both my original pipes (the sewing machine ones) and TORS (which are louder) but with Predators or Jardines the cat-delete is not necessary.

Is your '09 a Touring model? I think those have the catalytic converters in the exhaust pipes don't they? Mine is an '05 standard. Both the standard and classic have catalytic converters in line prior to the exhaust pipes.

Nope not touring just the standard it is one of the last '09 models to be sold here in australia " So I've been told "

BTW, there are videos on the site that showcase the sounds of various exhaust systems on the RIII. Although they do not do the sound justice unless you turn your volume up, at least you can get sort of a comparison.

Back