stepnet1983

.060 Over
OK guru's I need some help. I removed the heat-shields to take them in for powder coating and I went out today to start the bike and let it run for a few minutes. When I started the bike I detected what sounded like an exhaust leak so I put my hand by all three of the exhaust pipes and you can feel the air coming out as well as hear it coming from the front exhaust pipe. What am I looking at here? The only thing I did was to remove the heat shields and nothing else - I have not noticed this before and am puzzled as to how this happened or in fact what is going on. Please let me know if you need more specifics. The sound is very noticeable - I could try to describe it as a phut, phut, phut :eek: Thanks for your help. Let me clarify - this is where the pipes come out of the motor.

stepnet.
first (and cheapest) make sure your acorn nuts all all tightened to spec.
If they are and that's not the problem, I'd order me 3 new gaskets.
They're copper and can be crushed somewhat,
or flattened out some by over torquing,
easy fix either way.
Wouldn't ride it much if at all till I figured it out tho.
How long (how many miles) since you messed with the exhaust?
probably been loose since then.
I'd fix it now rather than later,
don't want to scorch a valve.

stepnet.
first (and cheapest) make sure your acorn nuts all all tightened to spec.
If they are and that's not the problem,I'd order me 3 new gaskets.
They're copper and can be crushed somewhat,
or flattened out some by over torquing,
easy fix either way.
Wouldn't ride it much if at all till I figured it out tho.

I will check the torque settings as soon as I get the heat-shields back on the bike. I have not ridden the bike since removing the heat-shields on Sunday and absolutely will not be riding until I get this checked and set properly. Thanks

Before you do anything find where the sound is coming from. Get a piece of hose about 18 inches long and use it as a stethoscope to find the source of the sound. You may have fractured the metal around a lug nut that is used to hold the heat shield to the headers.

OK guru's I need some help. I removed the heat-shields to take them in for powder coating and I went out today to start the bike and let it run for a few minutes. When I started the bike I detected what sounded like an exhaust leak so I put my hand by all three of the exhaust pipes and you can feel the air coming out as well as hear it coming from the front exhaust pipe. What am I looking at here? The only thing I did was to remove the heat shields and nothing else - I have not noticed this before and am puzzled as to how this happened or in fact what is going on. Please let me know if you need more specifics. The sound is very noticeable - I could try to describe it as a phut, phut, phut :eek: Thanks for your help. Let me clarify - this is where the pipes come out of the motor.
I had that exhaust leak awile back and it sounded like a timing chain issue; all you need is a tube of copper gasket maker and some time and patience, this stuff worked well for me, nice tight exhaust she makes, also wear rubber gloves or you will be picking that **** off your hands for weeks. "Good Luck and "Be Safe!

Back