RatBoy

Turbocharged
Is there an easy way to find out if you have an exhaust leak?
How about a hard one?

symptoms:
- Sitting at a traffic light with no one around me, I'm smelling gas/exhaust.

- I'm also getting a LOT of heat coming from around the back cylinder that blows on the underside of my right thigh.

- I'm getting a LOT of heat on my right hand sitting at a traffic light.

- I'm getting a LOT of heat on the right side cover near the front of the side cover

I don't seem to be getting an unusual amount of heat any where else. I'm getting some heat from the left side of the engine but nothing like the right side.

I've put my hand down by each cylinder and I can feel heat coming from each cylinder, but a lot more near the rear cylinder.

I'm not sure if the rear cylinder is running lean, thus significantly hotter, or if there's an exhaust leak.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

Roasting marshmallows, wieners, or any other food item is not good advice.:D

Awww you take all fun away, is your fan cutting in causing the heat to blow back. Easy way to check when stone cold is best make up some really sudsy water and wet the headers flanges down start the bike and look before it get hot

Awww you take all fun away, is your fan cutting in causing the heat to blow back. Easy way to check when stone cold is best make up some really sudsy water and wet the headers flanges down start the bike and look before it get hot

I'll try the sudsy water trick....
I've never had a big problem with the fan blowing hot air back.... even in 100 deg days.

It's the gas smell/exhaust smell that's worrying me. I never noticed it until recently.
It would put a damper on any ride to be standing on the side of the road watching my wheels burn up.

get someone to help and block all the ends of your silencers with gloved hands. if its got a leak you should be able to pinpoint it by the sound of escaping gases. only do this with cool pipes and in short bursts of a few seconds at a time.

Found it!

The rear cylinder and and the connection at my ankle were both leaking.
The real culprit was the connection at my ankle... it was leaking like a sieve.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Found it!

The rear cylinder and and the connection at my ankle were both leaking.
The real culprit was the connection at my ankle... it was leaking like a sieve.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Glad you found it my front (#1) cylinder was leaking when I bought it drove me mad till I Put the Soapy water on it then found that a lot of the bolts have tendancy to loosen them selves including one I just found after 2200klm's on the front of the front engine case, morale of the story is ccheck at every service and run your fingers over every bolt when washing feeling for telltale signs ;)

Glad you found it my front (#1) cylinder was leaking when I bought it drove me mad till I Put the Soapy water on it then found that a lot of the bolts have tendancy to loosen them selves including one I just found after 2200klm's on the front of the front engine case, morale of the story is ccheck at every service and run your fingers over every bolt when washing feeling for telltale signs ;)
my bike only gets wash when it rains :D

I have found out on a leaky gasket that you can get some red silicone put around the gasket reinstalled seems to seal everything perfect nothing like red silicone heat resistant and works like a charm

Back