Bigjaype

I'll eat Sonny's sandwich...
Ride
R1200GS
Hi guru's

I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me...

Having recently purchased a 2006 classic, one of the issues I'm trying to solve is the pillion passenger getting gassed...my wife complained on the test ride that she kept breathing in exhaust fumes.
So I whipped off the panniers and it's still there, but not as bad.
Only really happens at slow speeds. I'm thinking of changing the exhaust system, for a longer setup but don't want to waste money if there is a known solution.
I've tried searching on here but the only fume issues raised are to do with deflectors, and I don't have any.

Anyone with some ideas?
Thanks.

5BC955F2-732C-4BC1-85B1-F27AF3798EE6-1804-0000033DAFFC16A2.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpg

Hi As you can see my classic still has the factory standard pipes on, which appear longer than the ones on your rocket...maybe a set of these may help? You may get fumes at a standstill with the shorter pipes as they are exhausting in front of or around the pillion area... nature of the pipes I'm afraid..

I would think the panniers would help the situation. But of course, the shorter pipes are the issue as far as I can see ATT. The elephant is the room is, why are you riding slow?

All kidding aside, I have heard of NO exhaust fume issue on our bikes till now. I also wonder if something else is wrong with the engine that may cause this such as a poor map.

My bet is you have no pipe on the left side. Those look to be D&D pipes. I'd crawl under her and make sure its not just leaking where it attatches to the header.

Last edited:
My bet is you have no pipe on the left side. Those look to be D&D pipes. I'd crawl under her and make sure its not just leaking where it attatches to the header.
Thanks for the response, it does have a left hand pipe. I’ve had the dealer who sold me the pipe check over the exhaust system for leaks...but if you want something done properly....

Ok a nice 06 classic sunset red and jet black with gold pin stripes. Ah the good ole days when colored bikes mattered :)

Ya I can see the end if the pipes slash cutt now D&D's would be straight. I'd check all tje gaskets at each pipe and header to the cat box or delete whichever you have. Unless the bike is running rich your wifey should not have to smell fumes.

Mine back in the day

SzczepaniaksPics011.jpg

Ok a nice 06 classic sunset red and jet black with gold pin stripes. Ah the good ole days when colored bikes mattered :)

Ya I can see the end if the pipes slash cutt now D&D's would be straight. I'd check all tje gaskets at each pipe and header to the cat box or delete whichever you have. Unless the bike is running rich your wifey should not have to smell fumes.

Mine back in the day

SzczepaniaksPics011.jpg
I like the luggage! I’ve ordered a cable and have downloaded the ecu software so I can look into how it’s been tuned. Bike is at the dealer for the fast idle issue and hopefully I can get a look this weekend!

Back