Exhaust and minor mods versus cylinder head change out?

Torpedo

.040 Over
I think I may keep my '12 Roadster.(back is calmed down...for now:)_ I moved the foot controls forward 8" to improve legroom so now a horsepower question.

With the advent of some new exhaust systems coming down the line along with some of the new air cleaner assemblies, is it possible to get 170 hp without modding the head?

Or...the Carpenter 210 kit and have done or do it myself?

I'm curious as to the power potential of the base motor but want more HP. My last bike was a Ducati Hypermotard EVO SP with a weight of roughly 350 pounds and 110 hp. Power to wt ration of 3.97. Rocket is approx. 5.52. 210 kit would put me under the Ducati. I know they are different bikes with different purposes but am looking for closer power to wt.

Any thoughts on the immediate future? and which way I should go..

Carpenter will cost 5-6K with pipe and all.
Pipe/tune etc. 1600 approx.
I don't want to get into the shortblock.

Have you read this post on the 'Rocket III Resources' thread?

Further to this topic , I have just finished tuning a 2006 Classic with the Jardines of that day and my baby street cams. The RAMAIR filter worked very well, I ended up with a real smooth power curve and 172 hp and 163 feet of torque. I have never got better with this combo of parts. Bike started out with the exhaust on board, but stock style filter and a PC USB tune at 141hp. The owner will be pleasantly surprised I think to pick up 31hp and 23ft lbs for fun. Cams and filters and tune only. So now I have 5 RAMAIR filters on the shelf for those who wish to keep the bearclaw.

So with a set of Jardines (or better), Nev's 'baby street cams', a Ramair filter and a Nev tune - you are there. Sounds like a bargain to me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
From what I've seen posted on here you should be able to get to the 150 - 160 HP range with a good exhaust (Reband or Carpenter type system), an upgraded intake, and a good dyno tune. Don't know that I've seen anyone go to 170 HP without some engine mods

As noted here many times it is possible to get 165 with Reband exhaust, filters and tune. Worst I have done with that exh is 162. Please not also the exh mentioned by battersea above was on a classic. I reckon if that bike had a Reband it would do close to 180.

I would but the 30 horse doesn't seem worth the extra 2k.. But would be nice for the power to wt. I dont' want a huge job to take all spring. I'm wondering how long it would take to change the head.

As noted here many times it is possible to get 165 with Reband exhaust, filters and tune. Worst I have done with that exh is 162. Please not also the exh mentioned by battersea above was on a classic. I reckon if that bike had a Reband it would do close to 180.
And Reband claims 8 more hp with the new shorty muffler. Cant wait to get home and put mine on.

Back