excessive oil usage

Chariot

.040 Over
Ride
2017 Rocket 3 R modified trike to take wheelchair
Need some help.I have now done 6500 miles and find oil usage is quite high more than 1 litre per 1000 miles .I bought the 2017 Rocker 3r with 3500 miles .I suspect the first 3500 miles running in were done with a gentle throttle and the rings never bedded in properly . There is no trace of oil in the coolant . As a trike it is now getting plenty of revs in every gear . I am using semi synthetics 20 -40 and plan an oil change to fully synthetic 20- 40 Motul . Maybe 20- 50 would be better as do not plan using trike in the winter . Apart from that ,the trike is going great handling and braking much improved thanks to Lumley Engineering .

Feel a right dipstick:mad: but thought I had to give anyone reading this the heads up. I did not follow the correct procedure for checking oil level. As a mechanic who has been reading workshop manuals all his life, I am extremely embarrassed😬. In my defence not being able to use my fingers does make life a bit more difficult. Did a 200 mile run yesterday with absolutely no oil usage and nearly 3000 miles this summer. Weather getting colder now, think days out will be limited. Sorry guys

That was some good fortune for sure!
Never saw a Rocket Roadster done that way . . . beddddy intarestin'
I built the first one in 2019 to take my wheelchair this is the mark 2 model .Couldn't find another one anywhere like it as i had hoped in the beginning to modify someone else's design .Have a look at my film if you ave a moment .https://vimeo.com/465844535

try this QRcode

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-20 at 14.37.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-20 at 14.37.53.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
Look around the case very closely for any oil trails/leaks. It's a common problem for that age to see the valve cover gasket starting to pucker on the exhaust side of the engine and cause a leak. When mine did it, there were never any puddles as it only leaked while running and it obviously didn't show up as smoke or anything cause it wasn't burning it. Another area that sometimes develops a leak is on the intake side where the spark plug recess "drain holes" come out of the case. Mine started leaking there after I changed the valve cover gasket to fix the first issue, and then my OE caused the new seal to start leaking in that spot.

So impressive and inspiring is your positive attitude and response to carrying on with your life!!!
You, SIR, are my new hero!!!
MUCH gratitude for sharing your video.
Life frequently sux, but you have turned yours into a super terrific inspiration!
Now if I could better understand your English and ride on the wrong side of the road . . .
Thank You.jpg

@1olbull where've you been? Or, are we just traveling in different post circles?
Gratitude for your inquiry, Amigo.
I have been on an extended self imposed hiatus.
Missing the many awesome members, I have returned to say hello.
I am still very active riding my 2 Roadsters around the country.

Gratitude for your inquiry, Amigo.
I have been on an extended self imposed hiatus.
Missing the many awesome members, I have returned to say hello.
I am still very active riding my 2 Roadsters around the country.
Glad to have you back, old boy. When I first joined this scraggly group you were among the leaders I looked to for useful information. Good to see you, again.

Back