Grumpy Ole Codger

Miserable as FECK
Ride
MOTO GUZZI BREVA 1100
Most esteemed and intellectual Gentlemen of the Forum,
I have been having a few problems with the tick over or idle on my 2007 Rocket standard. The story is as follows:
Bought the bike back in July, came fitted with the Zard Penta exhaust but nothing else in the way of modifications. Joined the forum and was immediately 'told off' for having such a restrictive system plus the intake was still standard. Well, a couple of clicks later and the RamAir was on its way. This arrived 2 days later and was duly installed following the comprehensive 'Idiots Guide' included in package. Next, contacted Hanso who provided a new Tune. Instructions from the Forum and new tune installed. Now this is where the fun starts! So proud of my achievements, off I went to sample the joys of the Beast released from the OEM trappings. Second round about I came to the rear wheel locked up - the engine had stalled. I put this down to being a novice rider on the Beast and carried on. This happened a second time and I went home to check things out. I spoke to @Nat67 who advised to go back to square one and check all settings, fittings, vacuum hoses etc... duly done!
New exhaust from Dave Pratt which took 7 weeks to install (another story) and finally ready to roll. Same situation exists with the idle speed and engine cutting out on the over run. I have been through as many of the threads on here trying to solve the problem myself - 'It can't be too difficult'.
Fuel is fresh - more than 2 tanks used while trying to get it right with TuneEcu in the garage
TPS reads 0.60 and 0.73.
Throttle bodies all balanced - 1 = 600, 2 = 600 3 = 590/600
Idle changes between 720rpm and then surges to 1040 then drops back slowly and stutters to 720 then picks up again.

Below are screen shots of TuneEcu attached to bike. Any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome. You must allow for the fact I am NOT very mechanically qualified so please, oh please can you tell me in Laymans terms

20171230_212742.jpg

20171230_212822.jpg
20171230_212851.jpg

Last edited:
Any popping on decel??...if so, do the simple 'tighten the header bolts to factory nm '....check where the AIT sensor is located...if you have ramair is it fitted in the hole supplied for it on the ramair housing?...might help, hope so...

Hi Tal,
Decel popping is excessive even though I have loaded the Anti popping map from Hanso. On occasions it is the loudest bloody backfire...highly amusing to me but not pedestrians!! AiT sensor is located in the RamAir filter - nice and tightly as per instruction manual. Am thinking it must be something I have done as problem only started when I started playing around ..!!

Hi Jag,
Reloaded map several times. Tried loading original and then reloading map from Hanso. Always have the battery charger attached to ensure power source is a constant voltage. At a loss for what problem is, almost at the point of taking to garage but no one around here that knows the Rocket

Hi Grumps,

Bad luck but well done for perservering. I had loads of backfires on mine when I loaded a new map. Sounded like a mortar attack. Basically the map "seemed to have got corrupted" so when I tuned everything I was tuning to a bum steer. Took a long while to figure out. Do you know how to pull up the graphs and check the tune is the saem for TB1, TB2 and TB3 to confirm?

I see you have the O2 sensor checked. I'd uncheck that as the map and sensor will be fighting each other.

My suggestions would be, look on the TuneECU site where you'll find a selection of tunes for your bike. I would download and install the most appropriate one then see how the balances are. If they're still good would suggest the map you balanced to is ok. If not then balance to new map and try.

Might do no good but would clarify a few things. I also found adjusting the ISCV would alter the balance so had to redo then redo ISCV until all perfect. Hope that helps.

Just a final thought are the clamps around RamAir TBs ok as if too tight may have pushed the hose askew and caused a leak.

Good luck.

Hi Blackthou,
That's a mission for tomorrow morning. I still have the original map the bike came with so I can try loading that one again. As for checking the map graphs...durrr..erm....Not a chance! Far too much of a novice to attempt that one. The O2 sensor has been removed and and a plug inserted. As far as I know this has been unchecked on the map loaded. Does this need the 'tick' to be removed from the box or the box 'ticked'?? Read on here about over tightening the clamps on the RamAir to throttle bodies and have been careful on all occasions. Its been off and on more than a whores drawers :oops::oops:

Pleased to see sensor removed and plugged. Shouldn't influencce anything but make sure O2 box is unchecked.
Well done re clamps and good luck with map tomorrow.

Probably very frustrating i'de imagine!...on the plus side, it will be solved..
I have K&N pods, Jardine headers and cans, o2 sensor unplugged...i have a dyno tune from my previous Roadster installed into my PCV. I remember the tune guy increased the fuel in the lower end of the tune to eliminate the decel pop and it works. My bike has zero pop...zilch!
I would seek out a dyno guy and have the bike tuned to suit based on my own experience...each motor is different and so is the the atmosphere...it all makes a difference...in my book anyway...just sayin.

Tal,
I was looking at having the PCV fitted in January and a full Dyno tune plus complete service. Nearest guys to me who can do this have now admitted to never having worked on the Rocket but willing to give it a go. Not sure now that this is a scenario I'm willing to entertain but the other options are very limited apart from Destination Triumph, the local dealers. Will have to look further afield methinks

Back