Engine whine at idle to about 1500 RPM

johnreeder

Friend of God
Ride
R3T 2008
I own two Rockets. One is an 05 standard and the other is an 08 Touring model. Of course they basically have the same engine but, my 08 seems to have a louder balance shaft whine (at least I think that's what's causing it). Is there an adjustment for this? I used to ride Kawasakis and the Voyager and Concours had adjustments for this. I haven't check my manual yet. I usually don't read instructions unless I can't figure it out any other way.

JR

John the balance shaft just has timing marks on it that you line up with the crank gear when the case is split. No adjustments that I know of. Since you think its from that side of the engine do you think it can be the humm of the timing chain like it has some slack in it. There is a drop check of the plunger on the tensioner (these checks are done while the engine is not running)
if the drop is mor ethen 16 mm there is a spacer you install in the plunger to bring spring pressure back up. Its a easy check and it is in the manual. they use a plug like a go nogo guage but its only measuring the 16 mm drop. If you have a dial caliper or depth micrometer its a easy check.
That would be the first place I would look. If the drop is good take a screwdriver and push in on the plunger to see if it want to take any slack out. don't push to hard your not looking to force it out just see if it want to extend a notch. Do not take the body off the engine (two 8 mm bolts) do not run engine while center nut is out. Some people put the bike in gear and rock it to see if it adjust any before pulling the center nut off. This is good but do not do this while the center nut is off. Loss of timing while cause a catastrophic event.:( Other then that the only other rotating component past the centerline of the crank on the side of the motor that the balancer shaft is on is the exhaust cam.

Back