Engine Oil Operating Temps

haloids

Standard Bore
I first apologize if this info is available in a service manual but my used R3 did not come with one but I was just wondering as to the "normal" oil operating temps and do they vary with the type of oil being used. I am in Thailand and it is always hot here and the bike gets to be quite warm while riding it although the warning indicators never come on. Thanks for any info on this.

Then you have the problem of a big engine with heat and living in a country that always is hot, you are probably not going to get any noticeable improvements unless you wrap the pipes.

Dennis

50 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
51 (?) dtg Home

Halo I've got a temp gauge in my oil tank cap and I've seen it as high as 225'F when all warmed up. I typically don't pay too much attention to it so I can't say how long it takes to get there or if that's as high as it goes. If you are concerned about it, get an oil cap with a guage built in. They are the same size as an HD cap and I've seen both analog and digital. I can't remember where I ordered it from, but they don't cost much. Triumph recomends high quality synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and 10,000 miles between changes, if you are running synthetic 10w40 or 15w50 (for hot weather) relax, you are well protected. Good synthetics will last much longer than 10k in all weather conditions, it's good stuff.
If you just got the bike and don't know what's in it, you probably should change it out to be sure of whats in there just for peace of mind. If you don't have a manual and plan to change your own oil, you should get one before you do it. The rocket has three places on the block where the oil needs to be drained due to the dry sump.

Last edited:
Welcome haloids, to the site.
There is an intro forum and perhaps you've already posted there.

In thailand i expect it's always warm and most always high humidity when it is "hot". You say hot, while I expect a heat stress index is high. High humidity does that. Regardless, a high ambient temperature versus a hot ambient temperature under high humidity are quite different with NO regards to an engine. (Your engine isn't sweating and evaporative cooling is not a significant factor). I consider hot as somewhere about 100F ambient. At 100F you might expect an engine oil temp approaching 215F. If its above that I'd consider a better lubricant. I use Amsoil. Oil temperatures exceeding 220 are cause for considerable concern.
I endorse a water wetter product, such as Proline, for keeping engine coolant significantly lower. I have observed, with an analog oil temp gage, at least a 15F lower temperature with Proline Water Wetter. Essentially a water wetter product diminishes or eliminate increasingly larger air bubbles from forming as the coolant approaches boiling. Proline says their product is best used with distilled water for the absolute best cooling. You should always use distilled water in any case. With the smallest of bubbles forming during the heating processes, the greater the water coolant is in greater contact with the heated surfaces; ands draining away the heat through the radiator.

Ive been calling this product that I endorse, as Proline, when in fact it is Redline.

Last edited:
I imagine a heat deflecting lowers would help.

Much like putting a Lamelip or a better after market windscreen; would be an add on, to direct heat flow at the level of the "lowers" in the summer that could be seasonally adjusted for the winter. Air turbulence can be a good thing in small quantities. Like a great pizza and beer fart. I hear you Flipper! You tea toater:)

Last edited:
Syn oil can see temps quite near 300 degrees F and be ok. You are fine oil temp wise. Dino oil temp is another story altogether.

Syn oil can see temps quite near 300 degrees F and be ok. You are fine oil temp wise. Dino oil temp is another story altogether.
300:eek:

It doesnt matter which dino fuel you adapt to. Lubrication inside is more paramount for longevity. I support dark beer as well:D And if Triumph provided an integrated water and oil temp gage set, with absolutely no fudge factor.;Id have a major rise in my appreciation for the awesome nature of the FBG.

Last edited:
Welcome haloids, to the site.
There is an intro forum and perhaps you've already posted there.

In thailand i expect it's always warm and most always high humidity when it is "hot". You say hot, while I expect a heat stress index is high. High humidity does that. Regardless, a high ambient temperature versus a hot ambient temperature under high humidity are quite different with NO regards to an engine. (Your engine isn't sweating and evaporative cooling is not a significant factor). I consider hot as somewhere about 100F ambient. At 100F you might expect an engine oil temp approaching 215F. If its above that I'd consider a better lubricant. I use Amsoil. Oil temperatures exceeding 220 are cause for considerable concern.
I endorse a water wetter product, such as Proline, for keeping engine coolant significantly lower. I have observed, with an analog oil temp gage, at least a 15F lower temperature with Proline Water Wetter. Essentially a water wetter product diminishes or eliminate increasingly larger air bubbles from forming as the coolant approaches boiling. Proline says their product is best used with distilled water for the absolute best cooling. You should always use distilled water in any case. With the smallest of bubbles forming during the heating processes, the greater the water coolant is in greater contact with the heated surfaces; ands draining away the heat through the radiator.

Get Evens NPG Coolant. It is far superior to water wetter, engine ice, etc. and never needs to be changed. It has a much higher boiling point then the other products.

Hoerr Racing Products @ Amazon.com: Evans Coolant

I use the stuff in my very hot running Husky TC450 MX'r.

Hot Stuff

Thanks all for the info and some great advice. I am surfing the net looking for some of the recommended items. I love the bike but have had several Harleys that I rode in the summer in Arizona and still not had the engine heat from the H-D's that I get from the Rocket.

Again, thanks to all for the info.

Back