Engine oil level dropping.

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
This is my 2nd Rocket 3 and if the bike stands for a couple of weeks the engine oil level drops below the baffle plate in the oil tank.
My other rocket done the same so I am assuming this is normal On that bike the oil level dropped out of sight after standing for 3 weeks so as both bikes do it I assume it's normal but on starting the engine the oil pressure is instant and the tank refills straight away so the scavenge pump is doing its job.
If I was to replace the non return valve, as both bikes are like this I suspect it would not fix it.
Both bikes are 2014 Roadsters with around 11000 miles on the clock.
Running on Castrol 10w 40 Fully synthetic oil.
Any comments on this. Do your bikes do this too.?

It's normal.
This bike's dry sump isn't a reliable oil level indicator.
The manual says to check the oil level after running it and within a short time of shutting down,
while the bike is propped upright.

Its probably one of two things the oil nozzle attatched to the oil pressure pump is dribbling or the anti leak down valve which is the one way oil one way flow valve. Is leaking. But I would lay odds on the oil nozzle dribbling. I checked mine while I had it open doing the clutch after @Pedro , had discovered and pointed it out to me when he was rebuilding his motor.

Its probably one of two things the oil nozzle attatched to the oil pressure pump is dribbling or the anti leak down valve which is the one way oil one way flow valve. Is leaking. But I would lay odds on the oil nozzle dribbling. I checked mine while I had it open doing the clutch after @Pedro , had discovered and pointed it out to me when he was rebuilding his motor.
Mine starting behaving differently last year, the tank emptying quicker on shutdown, which valve are you referring too, pressure relief valve #11 and check valve #12, any problems because of this dribbling or bad valve ?

Attachments

• A488F490-7963-48F9-B499-B987D1130124.png
    A488F490-7963-48F9-B499-B987D1130124.png
    188 KB · Views: 25
Mine starting behaving differently last year, the tank emptying quicker on shutdown, which valve are you referring too, pressure relief valve #11 and check valve #12, any problems because of this dribbling or bad valve ?
#12 sometimes gets trash in it but not often do to the mass flow as ot turns into a oneway flow valve once the engine is running. I'm betting more suffer from #39 dribbling which is why it takes some time to empty the oil tank.

The one way valve #12 is easy to disassemble and clean. Drain oil drop sump pan pull out valve take her apart clean valve disc and internals install and put sump pan back on. Oh and I have seen a couple Rockets that triumph forgot to install the valve in. ;) go figure :)

#12 sometimes gets trash in it but not often do to the mass flow as ot turns into a oneway flow valve once the engine is running. I'm betting more suffer from #39 dribbling which is why it takes some time to empty the oil tank.

The one way valve #12 is easy to disassemble and clean. Drain oil drop sump pan pull out valve take her apart clean valve disc and internals install and put sump pan back on. Oh and I have seen a couple Rockets that triumph forgot to install the valve in. ;) go figure :)
Thanks for the reply. So they all seem to have this problem. It seems it does no harm then and a repair is not a permanent fix and its not a serious problem?

Thanks I got that on list, mine is the #39 also oil tank draining slower after stop or say when changing oil, appreciate ya

It's normal.
This bike's dry sump isn't a reliable oil level indicator.
The manual says to check the oil level after running it and within a short time of shutting down,
while the bike is propped upright.

Thanks. Triumph tell you to check oil after running engine. That's fine so long as it's got oil in it. I suppose they know the oil level drops on shut down. Seems a bit hit and miss but if there's no oil puddle on the floor it got oil in it.
I just don't rev it up until the oil pressure is up.

When you cleaned out the non return valve did it fix it?

Back