Trumpeteer

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket Roadster
I'm having a problem with my 2012 Rocket Roadster. Over the weekend I gave her a very good bath. Key note though, I used one of those garden gentle sprayers to wash the bike that spits the water out of it like a watering can used on plants. I did NOT fire up the old pressure washer to wash the bike!

Tuesday was uncharacteristically warm so I went to ride to work. As I am heading out of the driveway I noticed the engine light does not go off. I turn around and head back into the garage in which case there is a strong burning odor coming off the bike.

I'm thinking spark plugs perhaps right now but here is my situation...I am fairly self reliant wrenching on my own bikes and have done so from wheel to wheel on my 2006 Bonnie but she is a carb'd model. I'm not well versed with EFI bikes as the Rocket is my very first one of that type. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before? If so, what was your fix? Also, has anyone gone out to get the diagnostic tool to take a reading to troubleshoot problems? If so, where did you get this and what kind of cost am I looking at? Any kind of information willing to be shared to include pictures on how this fancy shmancy high tech stuff works would be appreciated!

You need a lonelec cable and TuneECU app which you can get free for windoze or download for Android for a small price. Once connected with the cable to the app, you can retrieve any diagnostic codes. Here's hoping that once your bike is thoroughly dry things will be fine.

In the meantime, you can raise the tank with the prop rod, and examine "under the hood" as it were. There may be large puddles laying around on the valve cover and that could make the plug wires cross fire.

tunecu is the best but in the mean time if u have a buddy with a code reader or around here the parts stores read the codes for free. any obdII reader will retrieve codes. all we need is a code number to give advice.

Check this thread at another forum. @DEcosse, the electric guru around here was assisting with the same code.

P1685 Main Relay Circuit Malifunction - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Make sure you did not soak the spark plugs(would be really hard to do) lift the tank clean any water spray every electrical thing you can see with some water repellent stuff disconnect the battery reconnect and go for a run it might take a few miles to go off if it comes back on after fiddling with the battery

i am concern about the burning smell could it be that u got soap or wax on the exhaust system because u smelled it when u got back after the pipes were hot if it were mine i would check the fuses then clear codes and try it again turn key on check brake lights turn signals hi/low beam if that checks out start it up let it idle for a while if that checks out take it for a ride.
i use a water hose and blast the engine and the area of the spark plugs (I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS)
the whole bike as a matter of fact. the valve covers has drainage holes for the water to drain out. it one of those holes were to be pluged might giv a problem but that should give a misfire code (p0300,301,302,303).

I appreciate you guys throwing in your ideas and helping me with this. I did polish up all the chrome bits on the bike to include the pipes and the headers. I used a chrome paste for this and that could very well be the smell.

I did lift up the tank and had a look at everything underneath last night and didn't find anything alarming. I was pressed for time so I just left the tank propped up to see if airing things out has any kind of use. I am going to give a few shots with my air compressor tonight and check spark plug connections and make sure that everything is fitting and clicking into place as it should. Then I am going to take scot's advise and disconnect the battery and let a reset happen and take it around the block to see if that does the trick. I think it is a good idea to follow this path first before looking into changing relays and getting to deep into it.

one thing that i have run into on cars is the brackets that hold relays break and allow the relay to turn upside down this allows the relay to fill up with water i have seen this in some cry vans because relays r on the firewall near the hood so when it rains the relays fill with water and the transmission shifts crazy.
on my bike the relays have a rubber bracket and it was broken so i used plastic ties.

Every time I take an extended ride to a different environment, I usually get an engine light after I get back home.

Back