engine light stays on after multiple start attempts with loose negative cable

r3Bob

.020 Over
I tried to start the bike in the morning. It tried to start for 5 seconds and stopped like the battery was dead. I used jumper cables but nothing lit up when the key was turned on. I thought a wire in the ignition switch was loose and jiggled it around and tried to start it. Occasionally the power lights would come on when I turned off the switch. This happened multiple times.
I finally checked the battery connections and the negative side was loose. I tightened the bolt on the negative side and everything acted normal and the bike started with the engine light staying on. I read the manual and it said this was the 'limp home' mode.
Now 600 hundred miles, and 2 days later, the engine light is still on. I am sure that the multiple start attempts with a bad battery connection caused something in the computer to sense a warning situation and activated the light.
What can I do to reset the warning light?
Bob.

The error light does not mean there IS an issue - It can mean there has been an issue. It stays on after an issue is corrected UNTIL you tell it to switch off - You need TuneECU. ****ty connection will have "flagged" as an error of some sort. You just need to tell the ECU it's fixed.

If only issue was loose (disconnected) battary the light will reset after a certain number of cold restarts. Not sure what it is for an R3, for my truck it is 12, my wifes car 5.

Back