bernard

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2014 Roadster. It sounds OK at idle. Off idle to about 2500 rpm there is a distinct miss. It starts smoothing out at 3000 rpm and runs strong and smooth to redline. In addition to the miss, there is an extra noise coming from the exhaust pipe. The pipe is a 3 into 1 baffled megaphone (Carpenter). The noise sounds like someone tapping the pipe with a small hammer, kind of metallic. It's most pronounced between idle and 2500 rpm. Above that it isn't noticeable probably due to the rpm and exhaust note. If it was just a miss from misfiring, I would think it would affect the full rpm range. I tend to think the tapping noise is coming from an issue in the engine amplified by the megaphone exhaust pipe. So I think it isn't a tune issue, but a mechanical issue which will probably require a teardown. I can start with the basics - compression check, check plugs, wires, connections, etc. But I think it has a mechanical problem in the engine. I'm all ears if you have opinions or been down the same road.

2014 Roadster. It sounds OK at idle. Off idle to about 2500 rpm there is a distinct miss. It starts smoothing out at 3000 rpm and runs strong and smooth to redline. In addition to the miss, there is an extra noise coming from the exhaust pipe. The pipe is a 3 into 1 baffled megaphone (Carpenter). The noise sounds like someone tapping the pipe with a small hammer, kind of metallic. It's most pronounced between idle and 2500 rpm. Above that it isn't noticeable probably due to the rpm and exhaust note. If it was just a miss from misfiring, I would think it would affect the full rpm range. I tend to think the tapping noise is coming from an issue in the engine amplified by the megaphone exhaust pipe. So I think it isn't a tune issue, but a mechanical issue which will probably require a teardown. I can start with the basics - compression check, check plugs, wires, connections, etc. But I think it has a mechanical problem in the engine. I'm all ears if you have opinions or been down the same road.
check plugs and valve clearances. check temperature at header, same location with heat gun

You probably have two issues. First check to see if your exhaust header fasteners are tight. They will loosen off over time and you will get a metallic ticking sound (exhaust leak) especially when cold. Hope it is that simple. As to the miss, the easiest thing to check is the primary wire connectors to the 3 coils. They also loosen over time and will cause a miss. Had the same problem and crimping the bayonet connectors solved it.

Thanks. The gun showed #2 pipe much cooler than #1 or #3. The popping or tapping sound from the pipe could be unburned fuel detonating in the exhaust pipe. My 10X15 shop is currently occupied by my Harley getting some maintenance. When I move it out, I'll continue on the Rocket.

Last edited:
You probably have two issues. First check to see if your exhaust header fasteners are tight. They will loosen off over time and you will get a metallic ticking sound (exhaust leak) especially when cold. Hope it is that simple. As to the miss, the easiest thing to check is the primary wire connectors to the 3 coils. They also loosen over time and will cause a miss. Had the same problem and crimping the bayonet connectors solved it.
Thanks. A temp gun showed the #2 cylinder much cooler than the others. I know what you mean about the header fasteners. Carpenter used plain flanged nuts which did come loose. I replaced them with serrated flange nuts which have held tight. When I get done doing some maintenance my Harley, I'll get back to the Rocket. There's only room for one at a time in my 10X15 shop.

Update on my 2014 Rocket. This is a Carpenter Rocket. After testing compression coils, injectors, replacing plugs, etc. and not finding the problem, I shipped it back to Carpenter. They found a problem with the shims on one of the valves. Rather than Triumph, they use their own shim setup which I don't fully understand. They think I may have over revved and that allowed the shims to move out of place. They say it is fixable, but it could have been catastrophic. I tend to not hit my redlines on any of my 4 bikes, but maybe I did on the Rocket. I was thinking that maybe I have a sticking valve which I think would also allow the shims to relocate.

Last edited:
Ill try and find it, it was about the titanium bits taking damage if I remember correctly, Neville uses a different style

Update on my 2014 Rocket. This is a Carpenter Rocket. After testing compression coils, injectors, replacing plugs, etc. and not finding the problem, I shipped it back to Carpenter. They found a problem with the shims on one of the valves. Rather than Triumph, they use their own shim setup which I don't fully understand. They think I may have over revved and that allowed the shims to move out of place. They say it is fixable, but it could have been catastrophic. I tend to not hit my redlines on any of my 4 bikes, but maybe I did on the Rocket. I was thinking that maybe I have a sticking valve which I think would also allow the shims to relocate.
I had a bent valve stem on my Carpenter Rocket. Rear intake valve. Carpenter said it was probably over-revved as well. Certainly not by me but he said maybe a tech at the dealer.
Interesting that Triumph would not sell him one valve but only the entire set!! Carpenter made the valve himself!!

Back