DCJoe

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Rocket starts, runs normal, can shift into first gear (and all gears). However, when I straighten the handlebars from the left-leaning, parked position to the 11 o'clock position; the engine cuts out. With the engine off but the electrical system energized w/ the cut-off switch and key to RUN, electrical power goes down when the handle bars are moved the same way. Any recommendations or insights?

Yep, the ignition wire in your key column has come unsoldered from the module. 3 options:
New ignition cylinder (will happen again if you don't add headlight relays)
Pop the cylinder out and resolder (same note)
Go keyless, no issues

For the short term if you need to get it home, there's a thread on here somewhere of how to Hotwire at the fuses.

hotwire.jpg

They're probably right but you could also check the multi wire plug that runs from the ignition. It's under the tank at the front. Pull it apart and look for burnt terminal pins. You can bridge those wires. Will get you out of trouble (if that's the cause) and can be a permanent arrangement.

I've shared similar information with guys privately via PM when they are stranded (one just recently in fact!) ........
But honestly guys, I don't think it is good idea to share just how easy it is to bypass the ignition on a public forum.
I'm sure pro thieves are well versed in what to do, I'm just of mind we shouldn't publish this info for those who don't!

Sorry - I'm a newb who's only been here 5 mins and don't have to any right to dictate policy - I don't mean to offend anyone, that's just my opinion

Back