Engine cut out now possible rough running 2010 Roadster

Malcolm B

.020 Over
Ride
2010 Rocket 3 Roadster, Yamaha YZF1000 Thunderace
Hi all - I bought the bike about 3 or 4 weeks ago but haven't had much of a chance to use is as the weather has been so awful when I've had the chance.....

Today I took the bike out for a spin but as I was slowing down approaching traffic lights, as I've been used to, I blipped the throttle slightly before downshifting and....the engine stalled.

I struggled to the side of the road fearing the worst but it restarted immediately when I tried, first time.

I'd been riding for about 10 minutes so the engine was reasonably warm but now I am paranoid. I went straight home but can't get the nagging feeling the engine is running rough and tickover is erratic. As I haven't had the bike long I have no idea what's normal...

It's never done this before and was fine on the way back home.

Can anyone reassure me (or not depending on the video) as I took a short video and posted it here

I’m afraid not. Are these expensive to buy against the cost of taking the bike to a local dealer??

Does she look to be running rough?

I’ve a Yamaha Thunderace which ticks over like clockwork so can’t compare :(

Ok, being used to 90’s technology as modern I’m feeling somewhat sheepish.

I’m guessing I just need a laptop and some fancy cable and I should be able to diagnose this???

Hi all - I bought the bike about 3 or 4 weeks ago but haven't had much of a chance to use is as the weather has been so awful when I've had the chance.....

Today I took the bike out for a spin but as I was slowing down approaching traffic lights, as I've been used to, I blipped the throttle slightly before downshifting and....the engine stalled.

I struggled to the side of the road fearing the worst but it restarted immediately when I tried, first time.

I'd been riding for about 10 minutes so the engine was reasonably warm but now I am paranoid. I went straight home but can't get the nagging feeling the engine is running rough and tickover is erratic. As I haven't had the bike long I have no idea what's normal...

It's never done this before and was fine on the way back home.

Can anyone reassure me (or not depending on the video) as I took a short video and posted it here

GIVE WARP A CALL SOUNDS LIKE THROTTLE possition SENSOR,STEPPER MOTOR,MAYBE EVEN OLD GAS OOPS CAPITOL letters again

GIVE WARP A CALL SOUNDS LIKE THROTTLE possition SENSOR,STEPPER MOTOR,MAYBE EVEN OLD GAS OOPS CAPITOL letters again

That's right. The bike should come with the cable.

She's not running rough. Wait till you hit 6000 RMP. You just don't want her to quit until you'r done with her.

The engine sounds normal idling in that clip. How about under acceleration or at around 2500 rpm? Do you feel it missing or stuttering?

As to stalling while blipping the throttle, is this the first time it's been out this spring? If so, I'd put a bit more run time in before trying to find something that may not be a problem. Mine has stalled the odd time (very seldom) after a lengthy shut down, usually after sitting all winter. Those first few miles on the road might generate some unwanted stalls. Those nuisance issues disappear within a few miles or after the first tank of fuel.

Hello Malcolm,
I fitted Rivco Risers yesterday and had to reroute the clutch and throttle cables.

When I went out for a run today she stalled a couple of times as I hadn't set either of the cables correctly (usually when I was slowing down for a junction etc.)- just give them a quick check it might help:thumbsup:

Many thanks Gregger. I think before doing something I'm almost certainly going to regret with a TuneECU escapade I will take your advice and give it a bit of time. I don't think it's dodgy petrol although the chap I bought it from did almost 0 miles in 2 years so it could be. I filled from almost empty to full with fresh 97 RON (no nasty Ethanol) a week or so ago but I guess you never know.

It was a little disconcerting having to push the bke across 2 lanes to get to the kerbside but....it was easier than I thought it was going to be - so good news there!

Hopefully I don't ever have to find out how easy it is to push - ever again!

Interestingly I faffed about with the bars the other day Fenners. I had to route a cable below the bars and disturbed their position.... I only noticed when I put the screen back on and it fouled on the front master cylinder.

Why should this affect it though...???

Thanks all for your help.

The engine sounds normal idling in that clip. How about under acceleration or at around 2500 rpm? Do you feel it missing or stuttering?

As to stalling while blipping the throttle, is this the first time it's been out this spring? If so, I'd put a bit more run time in before trying to find something that may not be a problem. Mine has stalled the odd time (very seldom) after a lengthy shut down, usually after sitting all winter. Those first few miles on the road might generate some unwanted stalls. Those nuisance issues disappear within a few miles or after the first tank of fuel.

When I travel to higher elevations my 97 twotone acts up for a while. The fuel mixing hard/software on this bikes is moody and, changes in temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure produce Gremlins. Ride it short distance for a while like Gregger has suggested. You should get the LoneTech cable and learn how to connect to the bike.

Back