Engine Cut Off While Blipping Throttle

buddazero

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2018
Sometime ago I made a post about Shifting incorrectly, which was bad on my part.
So with the note the community gave me I've started to practice Rev Matching starting with 5th to 4th Gear, and continue going down.

Now I know there's no real reason to go from 2nd to 1st, unless its for tight corners, but I wanted to practice, and have before. Today I did it, and for the first time the engine cut off. At first I thought I did something unexpected, but then it happened a second time, and I have footage below to show it.

Engine Cuts Off.mp4

I spoke to my dealer, and they said this case has happened before with other Triumph Bikes, something to do with the "Mapping", but never heard of it happening on the Rocket iii. So we set up an appointment to meet Monday Morning to take a look at it.

I've been reading other bike forums, so say it may be the kick stand switch acting up, thinking it's down.

Has anyone else experience this, or maybe have some thoughts.

Also, totally unrelated. While practicing blipping from 2nd to 1st, I get a POP sound, I think it's a backfire. Is that normal, or na?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Just use a video hosting service instead of a file hosting e.g. Youtube.

Regarding the cutout, it's not unheard of, I've had it happen a few times. Aside from adjustments/tweaking settings, You have to remember there are about 60lbs of spinning goods inside the engine on the Rocket. As it comes down, from reving it up, all that stuff's trying to come to rest. The stock ECU is trying to catch all that set it back to idle RPM, if it's off even slightly, it'll die.

How many miles and have you had the first service completed yet?

Just use a video hosting service instead of a file hosting e.g. Youtube.

Regarding the cutout, it's not unheard of, I've had it happen a few times. Aside from adjustments/tweaking settings, You have to remember there are about 60lbs of spinning goods inside the engine on the Rocket. As it comes down, from reving it up, all that stuff's trying to come to rest. The stock ECU is trying to catch all that set it back to idle RPM, if it's off even slightly, it'll die.

How many miles and have you had the first service completed yet?

I got about 800 miles on it, but before that I did the First Service last week when it was about 750 miles. I wasn't Blipping the throttle before the first service, so I can't compare the before and after the first service.

And what you just said, "it isn't unheard of" is reassuring. I thought I was a special case. Thank you for explaining the Rocket and reminding me what's going on inside. This is a beast I'm still getting to know. I've only had her for about a month and a half.

In my experience, it only ever happened with a mostly cold motor, and early in the bikes life.

Well it's very early in it's life. I'm pretty confident it's nothing, but when I go Monday I'll comeback here and report back to what was said and done, so others can find this if they come across it.

Back