Engine Crash Bars

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Not sure where to post this, I got my set in and they are pretty **** spot on. Fit lines up properly, finish is good, figure I'd spread the word just in case anyone wanted a set but balked at Triumph's price like I did. I am in no way affiliated, just a PSA to help save other Captains money.

61OipIkOr9L._SL1024_.jpg

Remarkable how many things Amazon have that I want, then sits their taunting me with the "This item does not ship to Norway" message :mad:

They look good for the money but the mounting points don't look as solid as the genuine ones. I suspect these might flex a little more under pressure if using highway pegs (or, perish the thought, a fall).

The two mounting plates appear to be quarter inch thick steel, it might be that picture making them look very thin. I don't foresee any issues with strength, but I certainly don't plan on setting the bike on it side to test them.
The ones for sale out of Germany certainly looks more robust, but I am not willing to part with their price for a mostly cosmetic item.

The two mounting plates appear to be quarter inch thick steel, it might be that picture making them look very thin. I don't foresee any issues with strength, but I certainly don't plan on setting the bike on it side to test them.The ones for sale out of Germany certainly looks more robust, but I am not willing to part with their price for a mostly cosmetic item.
You won't think they are "cosmetic" if you go down! :eek: :D
My late model OEMs bent some, but protected the engine and bars darn well in my crash.
Do yours utilize the long bolt through the engine at the bottom?
A SMART purchase you have made in any case! :thumbsup:

They do use the long bolt for the upper mount. I hope to never test their strength :p Though, I did have that brainfart moment in the gas station about a year ago thinking the kick stand was down....it wasn't.

I dont trust "mystery bolts", the provided ones, will be replacing with some very high strength black oxide steel ones I am waiting for from England.

They do use the long bolt for the upper mount. I hope to never test their strength :p Though, I did have that brainfart moment in the gas station about a year ago thinking the kick stand was down....it wasn't.
I dont trust "mystery bolts", the provided ones, will be replacing with some very high strength black oxide steel ones I am waiting for from England.

I would think a good grade 5 or 8 metric from your local hardware store should be fine.

After doing some reading about crash bars, I found out there are two versions of triumph crash bars. These appear to be based on the old version that did actually have some strength issues. I guess I will find out how strong they are ( or aren't lol).

I ordered about 1000 black 10.9 (grade 8 equivalent) in various sizes from gswfasteners recently to replace all of Triumphs mystery magic rusting mild steel hardware. Some antiseize, a torque wrench and about 2 hours and I can stop cleaning the rust that develops on the stock crapware.

I live about 1/4 mile from the ocean, and wind blows off the water straight onto my house, so the environment is about as harsh as it gets for non-protected steel around here.

I can't even leave 304/312 stainless outside, in less than a month it will have some light rust on it.

It is somewhat laughable how harsh it is, see cars less than 5 years old with paint flaking off on the hood and roof all over the place because people refuse to wax their cars.

Last edited:
Back