Engine Code P0315 error - SOLVED!

gadget_ho

Supercharged
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3R
So I loaded the Penner tune yesterday with TuneECU, it loaded fine. I am not sure which version of the instructions I was reading, but it talked about resetting the adaptations, which I did, and now the bike is throwing a crank position code, P0315. It also threw a cruise control code, but the TuneECU instructions to reset that worked. I can't, however, clear or reset the P0315. I think it was because the bike took too long cranking after the reset, I instinctively stopped and restarted the cranking and twisted the throttle, which you shouldn't do. Tried resetting the adaptation again and doing the 15-minute idling procedure, no change. A thread on the TuneECU forum suggests only the dealer can fix it (Alain said that).

Further reading suggests it should‘ve been a load and just ride it process as the ECU adapts automagically. Annoyed at myself...

Any ideas? Bike actually rode ok, I took it for a ride (around 30km) thinking a run might clear it.

Last edited:
So I loaded the Penner tune yesterday with TuneECU, it loaded fine. I am not sure which version of the instructions I was reading, but it talked about resetting the adaptations, which I did, and now the bike is throwing a crank position code, P0315. It also threw a cruise control code, but the TuneECU instructions to reset that worked. I can't, however, clear or reset the P0315. I think it was because the bike took too long cranking after the reset, I instinctively stopped and restarted the cranking and twisted the throttle, which you shouldn't do. Tried resetting the adaptation again and doing the 15-minute idling procedure, no change. A thread on the TuneECU forum suggests only the dealer can fix it (Alain said that).

Further reading suggests it should‘ve been a load and just ride it process as the ECU adapts automagically. Annoyed at myself...

Any ideas? Bike actually rode ok, I took it for a ride (around 30km) thinking a run might clear it.
Happened to me when I loaded a tune on my Thruxton after doing an airbox removal. Think I just disconnected battery for a few minutes then tried to start it again. May have even used the tune ecu software to clear the code.

So for the 3 people interested, I worked out that the function is implemented in TuneECU, and worked out the procedure by reading the service manual.

For anyone else with the same issue, TuneECU just triggers the crankshaft position adaption routine. I suspected it did as it let me run it, and if I cancelled it, the ECU disconnected me and I had to reconnect. I just didn't know the procedure, which needs the engine running (duh) and in my mind the thought of redlining the bike in neutral didn't sit well with me. However, from the service manual:

4. Hold the throttle fully open within 60 seconds of being prompted by the diagnostic tool. Do not close the throttle until instructed to do so by the diagnostic tool.

Note
• Upon holding the throttle open, the engine speed will increase and decrease in cycles at approximately one cycle per second. The cycles are repeated until the crankshaft position adaption is complete.
• Adaption is typically completed after the fourth cycle.
• You will be prompted to close the throttle when adaption has completed.
• The diagnostic tool will allow the test to operate with the throttle held open for a maximum of 10 seconds (approximately 10 cycles). If adaption is not completed in this time, the test will stop and you will be prompted to close the throttle and turn the ignition OFF. Note any on-screen messages and investigate the cause before attempting to restart the test.

5. Close the throttle when prompted by the diagnostic tool.

So I did it and yes, it revved up and down 4 times and stopped, and then Tune ECU told me to let go of the throttle and turn off the ignition for at least 120 seconds. On restart, code was cleared. Huzzah!

So for the 3 people interested, I worked out that the function is implemented in TuneECU, and worked out the procedure by reading the service manual.

For anyone else with the same issue, TuneECU just triggers the crankshaft position adaption routine. I suspected it did as it let me run it, and if I cancelled it, the ECU disconnected me and I had to reconnect. I just didn't know the procedure, which needs the engine running (duh) and in my mind the thought of redlining the bike in neutral didn't sit well with me. However, from the service manual:

4. Hold the throttle fully open within 60 seconds of being prompted by the diagnostic tool. Do not close the throttle until instructed to do so by the diagnostic tool.

Note
• Upon holding the throttle open, the engine speed will increase and decrease in cycles at approximately one cycle per second. The cycles are repeated until the crankshaft position adaption is complete.
• Adaption is typically completed after the fourth cycle.
• You will be prompted to close the throttle when adaption has completed.
• The diagnostic tool will allow the test to operate with the throttle held open for a maximum of 10 seconds (approximately 10 cycles). If adaption is not completed in this time, the test will stop and you will be prompted to close the throttle and turn the ignition OFF. Note any on-screen messages and investigate the cause before attempting to restart the test.

5. Close the throttle when prompted by the diagnostic tool.

So I did it and yes, it revved up and down 4 times and stopped, and then Tune ECU told me to let go of the throttle and turn off the ignition for at least 120 seconds. On restart, code was cleared. Huzzah!
Fantastic info mate, Thanks for sharing.

Awesome stuff! Should be noted this procedure is for European Markets Only according to the manual. Maybe why I was able to clear my code on my Thruxton? Honestly could have been a different code but I know “crankshaft” was involved after a missed startup.

Attachments

• AC10823F-1EA4-4646-8DB0-228D675FC033.jpeg
    AC10823F-1EA4-4646-8DB0-228D675FC033.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 101
  • 7A72ECE8-96FE-4F7E-8DD5-57BD72D8709F.jpeg
    7A72ECE8-96FE-4F7E-8DD5-57BD72D8709F.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 104
  • ABBDEC2A-2CD3-4421-9527-B79B500607F2.jpeg
    ABBDEC2A-2CD3-4421-9527-B79B500607F2.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 95
Awesome stuff! Should be noted this procedure is for European Markets Only according to the manual. Maybe why I was able to clear my code on my Thruxton? Honestly could have been a different code but I know “crankshaft” was involved after a missed startup.
It worked on my non-European market Australian bike, so I'm happy. :)

I think you're only reading the first section in the manual to describe the process, whereas it's in the service manual 3 times in total. The last one describes exactly the same procedure, but is titled "Euro 5 Motorcycles in Applicable Markets Only" and unless I miss my guess, that's every market. I don't think Triumph has released a version that isn't Euro 5 compliant?

It worked on my non-European market Australian bike, so I'm happy. :)

I think you're only reading the first section in the manual to describe the process, whereas it's in the service manual 3 times in total. The last one describes exactly the same procedure, but is titled "Euro 5 Motorcycles in Applicable Markets Only" and unless I miss my guess, that's every market. I don't think Triumph has released a version that isn't Euro 5 compliant?
Interesting. Can’t seem to find it in my copy. Do you have the pages?

Interesting. Can’t seem to find it in my copy. Do you have the pages?
The section I am quoting starts on page 1650 in the PDF I have, in the section that seems to be focused on the Triumph Diagnostic Tool (from page 1625). It's also in an abbreviated "follow the prompts" form on page 1635 in the same section as part of the bike commissioning process. What you quoted is on page 627 in the same PDF, in the Diagnostics and Testing section.

Back