Engine code and neutral light

Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
First off, I appreciate everyones help on here. I am learning so much about this new machine.

I posted awhile back that I was having trouble finding neutral. The culprit was simple, the clutch cable was not in tolerance. not an issue now.

Then I posted while I was on a ride that the engine light came on and i was still able to get it into neutrual with no issue, but the light only comes on 50% of the time. When I got home, I pulled it up and found that it was the gear position sensor. I cancelled the code and all has been good for about a month. Now riding to work, all was fine, I pulled over into a parking lot as my wife was calling me and it was odd that she would call me twice when she knew i was on the bike. I put it in neutral, light did not come on, and i called her back quick. Then I put the bike in gear and went about my ride to work. At some point I looked down and noticed that the engine light is on again. I will not be able to check the code, but assume that it is the position sensor code again that i need to clear. I leave in the morning for Algona, IA rally.

Is there a write-up on how to fix this easily or something? I want to be clear on what to do and what NOT to do with the sensor. I am not sure if it comes all the way off or if that will cause an issue? does it just need cleaned up? or is it something that i can ignore and will be more of an annoyance.

Also, does this dictate to the computer what gear it thinks i am in and what it then would think that the fuel mixture should be and maybe it will be off?

Everything about the bike seems to work great other than that.

Thanks,

Jeremy

from what i have read if the sensors is not reading the gears it will not run correct
i would say to remove very careful so as not to loose the plunger and spring and clean the plunger and contacts. make not of the screws so as to put it back in the same spot
i am assuming that it was not reading correct (ecu not receiving the right signal) to set a code

from what i have read if the sensors is not reading the gears it will not run correct
i would say to remove very careful so as not to loose the plunger and spring and clean the plunger and contacts. make not of the screws so as to put it back in the same spot
i am assuming that it was not reading correct (ecu not receiving the right signal) to set a code
So if I clear the code, and it happens while i am hours away, do i have anything to worry about?

yes
if it loses the signal it might run real bad.
if u lose the neutral signal it will not start unless u ground that circuit. or short the starter relay or put a hot wire on the starter solenoid (if u do this u better make sure it is for sure in neutral)

yes
if it loses the signal it might run real bad.
if u lose the neutral signal it will not start unless u ground that circuit. or short the starter relay or put a hot wire on the starter solenoid (if u do this u better make sure it is for sure in neutral)

I already lose the neutral signal. as long as my side stand is up and the clutch is in it will start just fine.

I already lose the neutral signal. as long as my side stand is up and the clutch is in it will start just fine.

that is correct was typing without putting brain in gear:laugh:

There was a recall on the 2009 Touring, Triumph replaced the gear position sensor on mine. The switch is different than some models.

Back