Engine break-in period or . . .

DCRocket

Supercharged
. . . can I ride it like I stole it?

If the Rocket engine needs breaking in, how many miles? should I limit rpms? any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks, DC

Didn't you read the manual? :p

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep to normal traffic speeds since the Rocket has so much torque and power you don't need to rev much to get to speed. In top gear you're going 80 MPH at 3000 RPM. The bike isn't even breaking a sweat. A few short bursts of "joy" won't hurt much either (some believe it helps break-in) so enjoy her power. I just wouldn't rocket launch at every light.

The only thing I wouldn't do is ride it at a constant speed for long (more than 20 minutes), so take back roads if you wanna take a long ride.

After the first 500 miles, which goes real quick actually, get the oil changed and start the real hot roddin'! :twisted:

Agree with Riderrocketman completely. Early and Frequent oil changes during breakin are very important and I am now fairly certain I would reserve the super "good" synthetic oil till a little later. I don't have enough experience on this subject to know exactly what is best, but I think I would like a thousand or 2 miles with frequent conventional oil to aid the breakin, then move on to the super slippery synthetic. Take that with the grain of salt it is offered with.

Appreciate the replies - as for reading the owners manual (LOL - not that many of them are that helpful), I do have an excuse: I don't get my bike till next week (and for those of you who care, it's the red and white R III Classic)

TurboFan notes a good thing with the synthetic oils. It's not recommended to use full synthetics until you've gone about 3000 miles. Using it before then will greatly increase break-in time and can cause problems later.

At the 500 mile service, your dealer or you should be changing to standard or semi-synthetic 10W40 oil. My dealer just uses the Honda stuff for Goldwings and such. Then at 3000 miles you switch to the full synthetic, which many of us use the Triumph branded Mobil 1 4T Race oil, though there are other good brands out there.

My '01 Speed Triple went right to the 4T synthetic early, I think right after 600 miles. I didn't pay attention at the time, and have no record now. It hasn't turned out perfect, but the bike has been ridden hard and put away wet.

I have no doubt that different dealers have differing knowledge and experience with the full synthetic oils but both Triumph dealers in my area did not recommend using the full synth oil until 3000 miles.

I wouldn't lose sleep if you switched to full synth early. It does not mean your engine will utterly fail but the likelihood of problems is increased in the long term.

My dealer went to full syn at first service "as recommended by Triumph..."

From what I know now, I would have held off on the syn till 3-4K as discussed here-and maybe gone with the hard break in-like I'm doing with the ZX10...

Hard breakins are more fun.(Lets face it 99.999999% of all demo bikes get the ring rode out of em,and they are still covered by warranty,and will last longer than some of our bikes.) :wink:

Back