engine bars, 1st gen vs 2nd gen vs rivco

REGULATOR

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 RIII
Ok, Long ago I had the original engine bars on the Rocket, and I thought they were very flimsy, could barely use them as highway bars..

Ive heard the newest version is much better,

all I really want them for is to mount my highway pegs so I can stretch out...

I'm almost tempted to fab up some sort of wierd bracket to hold the oegs, but the big thing si are the new ones any better and if not are the rivco ones any good? just want a place to mount pegs

I think the Rivcos are excellent. I had them install in 07 before I set out across country. I also installed highway pegs. I've had two styles. The first set of mounts I bought at the Honda dealership in Florida. They are the standard mounts with Kuryi foot pegs.

First set

The second set are the Triumph off set that I have on mine now. I think I prefer the first set so they may go back on. I haven't been able to get the Triumph pegs adjusted correctly.

Current pegs with offset mounts

These aren't the best pictures but give you an idea.

I do like how the rivcos seem to be more tucked in..

one of the reasons besides there flimsyness I got rid of the stock ones is because I was tryign to look cool...

now I miss the stretched out on the highways....

The Rivco to me is low profile and very strong. The bike went over on its side, fully loaded, in Bowling Green, KY. Not a scratch on anything.

Plus they will help you to look way more cool. :D

well Ive got the same highway pegs already...guess I will need to bite the bllet and order a set before my next trip to Tulsa..

as a big, tall guy I put a lot of abuse to my highway pegs over a trip.....

I told myself to just use the 1st gen bars until they break then get the new ones. They flex a lot, but after a full season I haven't broken them yet.... not the nicest option, but the price is right

If you keep the original Triumph dresser bars, and you know someone good at TIG welding, then you can modify them like this...

They worked fine until I wrecked my bike, then they were destroyed, but so was the bike.

The Triumph bars stick out much further than the Rivco's as seen in this photo

...versus the Rivco, as seen here

The Rivco's are sturdier mostly because of the mounting system...in addition to the upper mounting bolt, the right and left pieces are connected to one another addition additional strength. My bike has fallen over three times so far and the only damage was I needed to replace the crush washers for the mirrors because the mirrors got spun around.

Keep in mind that the Rivco bars use smaller in diameter tubing, so you'll either need new pegs or have bushings made.

so you liek the rivcos better?

and yes the clamps I had on the triumoh bars were 1-1/4 so the rivcos will require smaller clamps, no big deal

I got mine at the Honda dealership. I believe they are standard Kuryi one inch clamps. Nice quality.

KingOfFleece said:
triumph 2nd gen. on my bike-For me it framed the rad. and makes all the difference in the look.

Can you post a picture of it? I've not seen the new Triumph engine guards.

Regs, one thing to consider is how far out you want your feet to be.

The Rivco protects the rad well too. I wouldn't be without some type of protection. Even a minor tipover without guards is a hugely expensive deal.

Back