Inkster709

Standard Bore
Ride
2009 Triumph R3
Just recently purchased a 2009 R3 with a few Mods done.
Foam Ramair intake MOD
CAT delete
Custom tune
First issue is when coming off the throttle getting lots of after fire. Any idea how to remedy ?

Just a thought, after fire or backfire can be caused by an air leak in the exhaust connections.

Hello
@Inkster709 and welcome to the site. Congrats on the purchase. When you say custom tune, was it done on a dyno or ??? Also, is the exhaust stock? You have the cat bypass which helps a bit but what about the pipes/header? Also, when you say afterfire, do you mean backfiring like a gunshot or just some popping on deceleration? As already been stated, air entering the exhaust system (loose header nuts, missing exhaust gasket/packing, loose muffler clamps etc) can cause this. A lean tune on deceleration can also cause it.

Hello
@Inkster709 and welcome to the site. Congrats on the purchase. When you say custom tune, was it done on a dyno or ??? Also, is the exhaust stock? You have the cat bypass which helps a bit but what about the pipes/header? Also, when you say afterfire, do you mean backfiring like a gunshot or just some popping on deceleration? As already been stated, air entering the exhaust system (loose header nuts, missing exhaust gasket/packing, loose muffler clamps etc) can cause this. A lean tune on deceleration can also cause it.
I'm going off a conservation I had while purchasing months ago but I was told it was a custom tune that was wrote just for that bike and I'm guessing there was no dyno ever used. Exhaust/pipes/headers are stock and seems serviceable. It's only herd when coming off the throttle and slowing down. With the clutch depressed and I bring up the revs slightly while breaking I can keep her from doing it. And I'm talking about popping on deceleration. Not a loud bang by any means. I'm wondering if a less restricted exhaust would help?

I'm going off a conservation I had while purchasing months ago but I was told it was a custom tune that was wrote just for that bike and I'm guessing there was no dyno ever used. Exhaust/pipes/headers are stock and seems serviceable. It's only herd when coming off the throttle and slowing down. With the clutch depressed and I bring up the revs slightly while breaking I can keep her from doing it. And I'm talking about popping on deceleration. Not a loud bang by any means. I'm wondering if a less restricted exhaust would help?
My Harley Road King twin cam does the same. It has a stage 1 with open pipes fitted by the harley dealer i bought it from. Only pops back on deceleration in gear but if i put a very small throttle opening on deceleration or pull in the clutch it does'nt do it. it only doe's it on fairly harsh deceleration. It does'nt do it on acceleration either. Main dealer failed to fix it. If i put the original pipes back on it does'nt pop back at all. the open pipes are Harley screaming Eagle. I have had the bike for 15 years and have learned to live with it now.
The Rocket Roadster i have is completely standard and does'nt pop back at all in any position.
I think more a restricted exhaust would cure it as it needs some back pressure. I do not really understand why but the way my Harley operates depending on which pipes i have on seems to prove it.

I'm surprised the previous owner would install a Ramair intake and cat delete pipe without installing TOR mufflers. Check the underside of the muffler cans to see if they state they are Triumph Off Road (TOR) pipes. If they are download TuneECU, get a Lonelec OBD 2 cable (No substitutes) and check to see what tune you have installed. Compare it to the Map Database on the Tune ECU website. You might have one that is too lean which will result in decel popping. With a less restrictive intake/exhaust you get a lot more air flowing requiring more fuel to compensate. Download an appropriate tune from the Map Database for a Triumph 3-4 cylinder model. One of the custom maps for your model/year should give you a baseline. I'm guessing a tune designed for TORS, Ramair, Cat delete and tweeked for decel popping will address the problem.

My Rocket is a 12 with TORs and Ramair. I have the 20355 tune (Stock Triumph TORs) with Hanso extras like 5% extra fuel and a few other tweeks. It used to pop a lot until the new tune was added. No popping now. Since I have no access to a dyno, I check the plugs which are a nice tan colour. I'm happy and have been running this tune for years.

Last edited:
Just recently purchased a 2009 R3 with a few Mods done.
Foam Ramair intake MOD
CAT delete
Custom tune
First issue is when coming off the throttle getting lots of after fire. Any idea how to remedy ?

I am old school and always think backfire as comming iut of the intake so although i have never heard the words after rire sounds like the perfect words. Bigger pipes will suck in air and ignite the gas in the pipes.
If u do not like it there is a good thread i will try to find it when i get to the shop.

My Harley Road King twin cam does the same. It has a stage 1 with open pipes fitted by the harley dealer i bought it from. Only pops back on deceleration in gear but if i put a very small throttle opening on deceleration or pull in the clutch it does'nt do it. it only doe's it on fairly harsh deceleration. It does'nt do it on acceleration either. Main dealer failed to fix it. If i put the original pipes back on it does'nt pop back at all. the open pipes are Harley screaming Eagle. I have had the bike for 15 years and have learned to live with it now.
The Rocket Roadster i have is completely standard and does'nt pop back at all in any position.
I think more a restricted exhaust would cure it as it needs some back pressure. I do not really understand why but the way my Harley operates depending on which pipes i have on seems to prove it.
Hi driving first gen 2004 r3 , mine does the same - in gear 3000 plus rpm take away throttle, leave in gear and clutch left alone and I get a backfire concert - loving it - all original pipes everything. Thought it was a pressie from da engineers - do I need to be concerned. Let her bang right? Norm

Hi driving first gen 2004 r3 , mine does the same - in gear 3000 plus rpm take away throttle, leave in gear and clutch left alone and I get a backfire concert - loving it - all original pipes everything. Thought it was a pressie from da engineers - do I need to be concerned. Let her bang right? Norm

let her bang
but respect others not everyone likes the sound like we do :roll: :roll:

Back