Ending a Monday with a swift kick in the pants...

What should I do next?

• Total voters

KY_Rattler

.020 Over
Ride
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
Over the past week and a half, I've been upgrading my '07 R3C. I shed the triple cans and cat box and opted for a very lightweight, stainless SuperTrapp 24" slash-cut muffler. That alone accomplished my goal of being heard. I'm allergic to quiet bikes. The citizens of my small city of 400k+ don't pay attention on the road as it is. Might as well get it from them somehow!

I then swapped out the convoluted and restricted air box with the RamAir kit from the U.K. After installing the filter pod, I felt a little dismayed that the original filter housing had to stay. That might be changed once I figure out what I'm gonna do with the relays currently mounted to it. Next, I gave her some fresh brake pads all around. Combined with the fresh Avon rubber she got a couple weeks ago, this should let me slow her down almost as easy as I can speed her up. Finally, I downloaded TuneECU and found a nice rich tune for an application quite similar to mine from the Custom Tune section of the website. For something so intimidating, that was really quite painless. So, tune downloaded and the ECU has idled with the bike for 30 minutes (as recommended), I decide it's time to donn the helmet and jacket.

Puttering out of the neighborhood, I notice the throttle is crisper, more responsive to minor adjustments. That really makes slow maneuvers much easier. Pulling out onto the main road, I hear the throttlebodies whistling and the throaty exhaust making my presence be known. When get back upright, and with nothing but clear road ahead, I roll it back semi-aggressively and notice, I have to use more of my core muscles to keep sitting upright. And wow, this thing is really growling like an unchained beast! I'm also noticing that I'm able to twist and zip through the cars like I did on my torque-monster Buell 1125R. I turned it around about 4 miles out and from a slow roll-on, I let her eat all she wanted. She took first with a little wheel spin and a slight power-on wheelie when she hooked. Second gear kicked me a little sideways with wheel spin and kept the front end pretty light. Third gear kicked me in the ass yet again. Enough so, that it got my attention on the speedometer. I swept past the triple digit threshold and hard charged to the speed rating on the tires. :eek:

I let out of it when the tachometer suggested I shift to Fourth. Honestly, I can't imagine how gnarly the boosted Rockets out there must feel. This is waaaaay more power than I should EVER need in a big, heavy, streetable bike. My level of respect for this bike has hit an all-time high. Let's see my Harley friends keep up now!:cool:

Last edited:
Definitely upgrade the front and rear suspension to enjoy the new power and great tires.

Tell us what tune you loaded.

@Idaho Red Rocket 3, I l loaded the tune.

Suspension would be the least costly and highest rewarding upgrade, for sure. ESPECIALLY when doing the work yourself.

Suspension - then lights (if you ride a lot at night). Rather than just springs consider new cartridges - the R3's forks have TERRIBLE hydraulics.

@barbagris, What cartridges would you suggest? I did a little reading into Race Tech's Gold Valve Emulators and springs. Both seem affordable (not as affordable as the Progressive springs), but are they worth it? Anyone tried these out? I don't like throwing excess money at something only to get a negligible gain. If the inexpensive Progressive springs will give me proper nose-dive support and a firmer feel of the road, are the Race Tech springs really a superior upgrade? Much like the $1200 exhausts available for these bikes... are they REALLY worth the difference over my $200 DIY SuperTrapp?

Pretty sure these Race Tech's Gold Valve Emulators are not available for Standard/Classic/Roadster just Touring and may be same story with the fork springs. I looked into it after getting both those RaceTech items for my Triumph Sprint ST but they were not produced for my Roadster.

For my 2010 Roadster I got Progressive Fork springs and used 10w rather than stock 5w oil - great improvement. I went Progressive 444s with HD spring for the rear as well. Very happy, but I am a lump at 350lb.

@Idaho Red Rocket 3, I l loaded the tune.

Suspension would be the least costly and highest rewarding upgrade, for sure. ESPECIALLY when doing the work yourself.

PM me your email address & I'll send you a proper HansO tune. If you think you like it with the 20050.................................................................. :sneaky:

Cost effective front suspension upgrade is a set of Progressive springs and 7 weight fork oil. Then change the rear shocks to something like Progressive 430, 440, or 444. Those changes completely change and drastically improve confidence in the handling in the twisties.

@barbagris, What cartridges would you suggest?
In the US - there has to be somebody making them. I fitted Maxtons (UK made). Are they worth it? - to me every penny. I gained a good 20kph in corners. The Gold Valve Emulators are ONLY for R3T

You ask about exhausts. The majority of the gains come from changing the headers. So yes many of the 1200USD sets will be better than simply swapping the end can.

Don't get me started on lights - I am FUSSY.

Back