Electronics Question

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
I have installed a MC Cruise Control on my 2014 R3T. I have also installed a Smart Brake Module, from the Smart Turn System company, which flashes the brakes when using engine braking to let the drivers behind me know that I am slowing down.

The problem I am having is that the SBM is sensing when the cruise control is using engine braking to slow the bike going down hill and flashes the brakes. The cruise control senses the brakes flashing, thinks the brakes are being used, and disengages the cruise control as it should. However, I do not want the cruise control disengaging under these circumstances.

Both devices are working as they should, yet I do not want them interacting when engine braking is being used to slow the bike going down hill.

I love the law of unintended consequences!

I am thinking that if I put a diode between the wire which goes to the brake light and the SBM, it will keep the cruise control from picking up when the SBM is flashing the brake lights. Because the sensors for the cruise control for when the front and rear brakes are being used are upstream of the SBM, they will still recognize when the brakes are being used and disengage the cruise control.

My questions are:
1) Is my thinking correct?
2) What kind of diode do I need to get?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You cant do anything about the sbm coming on in that condition, but yes your thinking re diode will indeed prevent your mccruise from disengaging.
But the diode will have to be rated for the brake light current, 3A diode should be good
1n54** would be good eg 1n5408
Used to be you could just run down to local radio shack & pick that up but that option gone now

10pcs x 1n5408 - 1000V/3A Diode - US Seller 799924139131 | eBay

Last edited:
You cant do anything about the sbm coming on in that condition, but yes your thinking re diode will indeed prevent your mccruise from disengaging.
But the diode will have to be rated for the brake light current, 3A diode should be good
1n54** would be good eg 1n5408
Used to be you could just run down to local radio shack & pick that up but that option gone now

Thank you DEcosse! Ditto on the closing of Radio Shack! I do miss them!

Well the diode worked/didn't work. It did keep the Smart Brake Module from triggering the cruise control, so that worked. Unfortunately, it also caused the Engine Management System Malfunction Indicator Light to come on. I also had a problem with the cruise being stuck at 6o mph. Took out the diode and the Smart Brake Module. Discovered that the cable from the CIU of the cruise control to the throttle control had gotten kinked when putting everything back together. Unkinking the cable fixed the cruise control. Reset the error code with TuneECU. (Thanks Barbagris in another thread) Without the diode, the the Engine Management light stayed out. The cruise control and the SupaBrake 3 brake light modulator work as they should. In the future I will attach a rear light, separate from the brake system, to the Smart Brake Module so as to let people behind me know that I am slowing down.

New Question:
I do not know anything about CAN-Bus systems. This is my first bike with one. What is it about the diode that generated the P1690-Malfunction of CAN-Bus communication error code? The diode was on the purple-green wire which carries the signal to the brake lights.

Back