electronic problem

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
3before I take the bike to the shop I wonder if any one has ever had this strange problem

riding along after 20mn or so the ignition seems to forget to send some sparks to plugs , the tachometer bounces from low to high l and the high beam blue light come on
what comes to mind is some form of spiking where I cannot figure out is the connection between tach and high beam blue light , the headlight does not come on just the blue light in the instrument cluster.. any ideas!!!!

Not really. BUT, this sounds a little bit like an issue I've had in the past. My tacho would move round to the right and go off the dial. Then whatever warning lights I had on at the time (turn, neutral, hi beam, fuel) would stay on even after I'd shut down and taken the key out, even the kill switch. I could get the lights out by disconnecting the battery momentarily but the tacho would stay stuck and none of the warning lights would work. Almost ran out of fuel one time!!! :eek: :mad:

This could last for days or just minutes but eventually it would fix itself, sometimes while parked, sometimes while riding, in which case all the warning lights would come on and the tacho would sweep as if I was just starting up. Happened about half a dozen times. Didn't effect riding but I hated that things weren't working right.

Would never do it for the dealer so I eventually traced the wires from the instruments to the connector under the tank, pulled it apart (looked fine), plugged and unplugged a few times and put some dielectric grease in there. Hasn't happened again - about a year now.

thanks for the advice I will try the same and see if it cure this gremlin

Sounds like corrosion on the Instrument cluster plug losing ground. The tach is used by the ignition system so it can make for an interesting ride if it's losing the input to the ECM. :eek:

3before I take the bike to the shop I wonder if any one has ever had this strange problem

riding along after 20mn or so the ignition seems to forget to send some sparks to plugs , the tachometer bounces from low to high l and the high beam blue light come on
what comes to mind is some form of spiking where I cannot figure out is the connection between tach and high beam blue light , the headlight does not come on just the blue light in the instrument cluster.. any ideas!!!!

Check your 30 amp fuse in the fuse box. Take the fuse out and look at the connectors and make sure they are fully seated in the fuse box. One of my connectors was loose on my bike and was sometimes not making full contact with the fuse. The wire was pushing back out of the fuse box. Your symptoms sound like the ones I was having. Mine started after the dealership did the headlight relay recall. The tech must have took it out and failed to put it back in correctly.

I am on my way to the garage and check that 30 amps fuse RIGHT NOW...

amazing !!! I found out the problem .. riding along looking at the tach bouncing up and down , I stopped at a red light and ALL power goes south WTF
I push the beast to the curbsite huffing and puffing in 27 % centigrade , and turn the key off and on ... lights in the instrument cluster come on and off, needles go up stay up turn the key off lights go out needles stay up no pattern call my wife figure just maybe I have a baaad battery .. tell her to bring the spare battery (odissey 680) lift the seat and unscrew the neg terminal and reach for the positive WHAT DO I SEE ..A LOOSE CONNECTION !!!!!!!
the frigging bolt has worked its way off the battery and rest on top inside the cables connectors but barely touching the battery post so tighened it up problem solved
thanks to all who suggested various remedies as I did all before and nothing was solved .
I by chance came upon this silly and stupid breakdown thinking of battery problems when all along the connection was intermittent ...a word for the next captain who may find himself in the same predicament.

A happy ending. My favourite fix is a simple fix. Bet you were grinning from ear to ear.

yes I did how would you know ..unless you had the same experience!!! wife is happy we are going for dinner on the beast tonight in canmore

Back