Pres10

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 Rocket III Standard
Symptoms are: turn the key on, fuel pump runs but no needle sweep or check of lights on gauges. Bike will fire right up and run fine but both trip odometers reset to 0 miles.

Any ideas?
Ignition switch?
Gauge cluster itself?

I'll be changing the fuel pump tomorrow after work. I'll check the connections then. Hopefully that's it. Thanks.

Most likely the internals of your speedometer are going tits up. The speedo will still work but the sweep will be goofy and the trips will keep resetting themselves. No known cure. Most of us sufferers have bought used replacements on eat-me-bay.

Back in the days of pre-history when there were only Standards and Classics - a couple of guys did fit alternative clusters.
Dakota Digital can be accommodated as can Koso and MotoGadget. Others too no doubt.
As Fred says many of us found replacements (I have a brand new spare in case) I am however collecting some Koso gauges too. One never knows.

Symptoms are: turn the key on, fuel pump runs but no needle sweep or check of lights on gauges. Bike will fire right up and run fine but both trip odometers reset to 0 miles.

Any ideas?
Ignition switch?
Gauge cluster itself?

Same problem here, started a few weeks ago for no reason and trying to resolve it but with no luck.

If problem is same for both of you - gauges don't sweep - but everything else appears to be working normally - then the problem is in the cluster itself.
There have been quite a few reported of that vintage.

Last edited:
I have just had time to take a good look at it. Installed a Walbro 342 today and also cleaned all battery and ground connections. the problem is still there.

What is a good going price for a gauge cluster??

Mine is an 08, so I am assuming that a set from a Roadster would not work, am I correct?

Thanks

I have just had time to take a good look at it. Installed a Walbro 342 today and also cleaned all battery and ground connections. the problem is still there.

What is a good going price for a gauge cluster??

Mine is an 08, so I am assuming that a set from a Roadster would not work, am I correct?

Thanks
@Pres10 change the fuse for the fuel pump.If memory serves me right it is10 amps bump it up to 15 amps. Its beter then sitting on the road trying to figure out why she won't run.
As for the speedo cluster you might feel cluster phucked when you see the price of a used one.

Back