Electrical gurus...help please

Ridefree

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3T .... 2003 Harley softail
So after I wash my bike tonight I have it idling to warm it up to dry it off. While it's idling the passing lamps came on by them selves. They would flicker on and off intermittently. I thought may I did something to the switch as I just installed the chrome switch housing a couple days ago. A little while later with the bike shut off and the key out of the ignition it did it again. They just came on. now there should be no power to the handle bar switches if the key is off. The last time they came on the stayed on for a couple minutes and the went off. Any ideas guys.
Thanks , Ridefree

The major clue here is 'wash'
On the Alarm interface connector there is constant power on one terminal right next to the two turn signal terminals - that is a very likely spot.
The alarm connector is under the tank- if you were spraying water up there, (or even if just running off the tank and down over the harness on the right side) especially good chance that's where it is.

On the Alarm interface connector there is constant power on one terminal right next to the two turn signal terminals - that is a very likely spot.
The alarm connector is under the tank- if you were spraying water up there, (or even if just running off the tank and down over the harness on the right side) especially good chance that's where it is.

Would this affect the two spot light passing lamps on either side of the headlight. Those are what is coming on..
I have a R3T and these came on it from factory and switch is built into housing next to the headlight dimmer switch.
Thanks for your help on this.

Sorry - thought you meant the turn signals
If the two driving lights then it is probably water in the relay socket which is again located under tank just behind the steering head

Thinking I should wrap wires under tank and under seat in prophylactics.

Sorry - thought you meant the turn signals
If the two driving lights then it is probably water in the relay socket which is again located under tank just behind the steering head

Is the hot wire to that relay always hot even when key is off as on cars? And thanks for the info on the relay location, I've wondered what that relay was for as it's not with the others under the side cover.
Thanks Ridefree

I always cover my grips and controls with a plastic bags like a Walmart bag when washing. I'm also careful not to spray under the tank or on top of the engine as well. I can wipe that area good with a damp cloth. I use an electric leaf blower to get rid of the excess water before wiping the bike down. If I get caught in the rain I just hope for the best.

Back