Electrical Burning Smell

jake shaw

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket Touring
Hi all, 30,000 k on my 14 Touring. Have been noticing the occasional electrical burning smell that last's a few second's. It's been going on for a while now and I can't find what is going on. I have lifted the gas tank a couple of times, no sign of any problem's there , all wires are up off the engine tied to the frame. Have had both side panels off and still no signs of anything.Also under the seat loos OK. Every thing seems to be working normally. My 05 had a similar problem, I found a Hot wire problem under the gas tank. Any thoughts?

I would check the headlight and driving light buckets? Then all the connectors under the tank.
Wiggle the headlight harness with the headlight out and ignition on.

Awhile ago someone posted that they too had an electrical burning smell,turned out to be the datatool alarm unit...

I think my problem is resolved thanks again to this forum. I had replaced my driving light bulbs originally H3 35watt with H3 55watt. this has been causing some heat stress to the wiring. I am now looking at some led replacement bulbs to replace the 55 watts. Any suggestions?

Back