Electrical Blackout pushing start button???

Norman Mueller

Standard Bore
Ride
rocket 3, 2005, burnt orange with tribal decals
Hi all,

became a 2005 r3 owner by accident, Neighbor sold it to me be cause his wife was up in arms about that "monster"
The bike ran like a charm for the past 2000 miles - its only got 17k miles on it. Its rattles and the cam chain and valves are being done next week - if I can get it to start...

I turned the key, the lights came on, the needles span and I pressed the button - click - nada...

the whole thing went dead - completely dead. Battery has juice, fuses look good...

Checked fuses, battery and connections - no indication of what's wrong.

HELP?

Thx folks

A shot in the dark here.
I had the same thing happen when a wire just off the positive battery cable shorted out on the frame near the right side cover. There's two wires off the battery terminal a fat one and a thin one. It was the thinner one that burned at a connector. Fixed that and have no problems since. (Got a EB headlight relay just after, though).

Welcome.

I have to agree with DEcosse, sure sounds like a battery. Can you get a charger with a start function and hook it up and see if it starts?

bob

A shot in the dark here.
I had the same thing happen when a wire just off the positive battery cable shorted out on the frame near the right side cover. There's two wires off the battery terminal a fat one and a thin one. It was the thinner one that burned at a connector. Fixed that and have no problems since. (Got a EB headlight relay just after, though).

Will have a look, right now.

HI everyone,

Thanks for taking the time.

I read in an earlier thread about the lead posts that corrode, so I took a sanding paper to all the electrical parts that I thought relevant. Battery posts, cables, starter relais etc.

No idea what exactly did the trick but here she is lighting up and starting.

I am certain I will b on here to learn and share going forward.

Cheers Norm

Back