Easy fix for leaking fork seals

Willtill

Nitrous
I wanted to share this little gem... since it probably just saved me over $600.00 :RockOn:

www.sealmate.net

I had a leaking left front fork seal on my Victory -as well- as on my Rocket. I thought that my fork seals had gone south on me... but the I heard about Seal Mate; and for $7.99 I was going to give it a shot, before taking my bikes in the the stealership to have them replaced.

Sure as they advertise, it worked.. The seals stopped leaking after I ran this little tool between the seal and the fork tube; and they reseated themselves with no more oily film present on the tube itself.

If you have a leaking fork seal; try this little Seal Mate tool first.

I testify that it will work :eek:ldgit:

[video=youtube;8wlzfoVroSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzfoVroSY[/video]

a piece of 35 mm film used to be the standard for that fix..probably can't find that anymore though. glad it worked for ya Will.

Yes; I have heard of that before... I couldn't find a roll though... rare as hen's teeth these days I think.

I was going to make my own tool out of plastic; but since I was going to be poking it into a seal that could easily be damaged by the wrong thickness of self fabricated tool; I opted for the real McCoy....

I have used the slip fixer before on the old Magna.
Worked good for thousands of miles. Used it like changing the engine oil.

I had not heard about the 35 mm film, but I do have 10 or more unexposed rolls in the cupboard. I should just throw it, but I also have the camera that hasn't seen the light of day for years.

Thanks, Will - this post sure helped me out yesterday!

Found some oil on the front tire and noticed leaking from right front fork seal. Talked to my buddy Jim and he suggested cutting some Mylar to the approximate shape and it worked a treat. Road about 50 miles after the fix and bone dry today - so thanks again!!!

Thanks, Will - this post sure helped me out yesterday!

Found some oil on the front tire and noticed leaking from right front fork seal. Talked to my buddy Jim and he suggested cutting some Mylar to the approximate shape and it worked a treat. Road about 50 miles after the fix and bone dry today - so thanks again!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad that it worked for you as well. 8) Which got me to thinking..... :shock:

....I wonder how many bike shops and "stealerships" do the same thing (using the Seal Mate fix) and then still charge the customer hundreds of dollars for a "supposed" tear down and replacement of fork seal?

:whistle:

Back