Easy Clutch Pull

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
Over on the TriumphRat.net forum, one of the members came up with an interesting DIY to make for easier clutch pull

DIY mega soft clutch! - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

I thought that might be of interest to some of you over here on R3Owners.

I also did some research on other options and found these other methods:
(this stuff below is in the linked thread also, but reprised here - for all the details on the original solution referred in the opening sentence please visit the link - please note also a suggestion in post # 16 of that thread where a commercially available kite-block - as used in sailing - could be used for same principle as the initial suggestion)

There is an off the shelf lever enhancement cable-pull from Moose Racing that makes for easier pull
You use this in conjunction with the stock lever/perch/clutch switch

MOOSE RACING EASY PULL CLUTCH SYSTEM

There are also replacement 'stunt' perch/levers that have an enhanced lever advantage nipple position and also utilize bearings on the pivot point to reduce the mechanical friction resistance of the assembly itself.

Here is demo with it on a Triumph 675 Daytona
(the only thing I don't see available is a clutch switch option for these levers)
- but shows a reduction of 16.5* lbsf to 7.5lbsf
*In the video he actually does this right on the ball end of the OEM lever - if he had gone inboard to a more 'normal' position on the lever, it would have been even more.
Note that this presenter didn't make any mention of the bearings, however the main mechanical advantage would of course come from the pivot point

Here are another couple of DIY options:

This one extends the length of the actuator arm to improve leverage at that end

Lightening up the S3 clutch episode 2: The girly hands strike back - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

04140009.jpg

Or this one, which attempts to replicate the commercially available quick-pull levers (shown above) revised nipple position for improved lever ratio on a standard lever
The workmanship is not great but the premise is the same as the ready-made versions and could probably be executed quite well by someone with some reasonable metal-working skills.

The process is outlined in a series of pics here -
eH4AJX6.jpg

Perhaps some of you have come up with other innovative solutions?

Last edited:
Interesting.

Though I can't say I'm bothered by my clutch at all. Got the low friction clutch cable from Barnett when I needed it extended due to risers and the action is smooth as butter, and the pull isn't objectionable so I don't see why people would go to such lengths, I guess.

When the Rocket first came out Triumph claimed it had the lightest clutch pull in their line up. They did go to heavier springs with the up date kit and presumably all later models though I never heard of a problem with clutch slip.

I can't say I have a 'problem' per se with the clutch lever force, but that is not to say that 1-2 finger pull would not be attractive

Amazing. One of the first things I noticed on the Rocket X was how easy it was to pull the clutch lever. I guess it depends on what you are use to.

C'mon guys - I never said that the R3 had a problem in this regard - I don't even own a Rocket
I just thought there was some good innovation there and that SOME of you might find it interesting.
Or even helpful for those with injury, arthritis etc .....

I think the problem is you posted it in custom mods, which to me at least means custom mods for the R3's.

Bearclaw corner would have been more generic.

Back