Dyno Tuner- What to Look For ???

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I’m several weeks away from installing Lush cams and pistons and need to settle on a tuner.

@Dr.D has recommended a good tuner a couple of hours away from me, but it sounds like a long interstate ride would not be the best break-in plan and getting a trailer and hitch is going to be a real hassle (but ultimately doable, if need be).

I just learned that there is actually a local shop that has a dyno. They work mostly on Harleys (does it matter- procedure all the same?) and I have no idea of their level of expertise.

What do I need to know about their equipment and experience in order to make an intelligent decision as to whether or not to go with them? If this works out, a 10 minute ride to their dyno machine would sure make this part a heck of a lot easier.

Side note: I'm waiting on install parts from Triumph ordered through Hermys. I do like those guys, but of course a lot of what I need they did not have in stock, so wait, wait, wait.... I broke a clutch cable last week and they didn’t have that either (really?), so I cancelled my order with them (it became a special order from England) and got a stock one in two days from Barnett Racing.

It seems like the business model for Triumph shops (maybe all motorcycle brands) is that we are all recreational riders and waiting on parts is just a minor inconvenience to our weekend “hobby.” It’s more than that for those of us who use their bike, year round, to get to work and back.

Well, it’s my post and I’m already off topic- sorry.:banghead: Dyno- what do I need to know? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd ask what length his dyno adjusts out to, drum centre to front wheel brace upright... the Rocket doesn't fit on every dyno in my experience.

Also what are you expecting to tune with, power commander?
If so it'll be a safe bet they can use it

Oh yes and ask the man you're buying the stuff from, he knows a thing or 2 about Rockets and dynos :)

I'd ask what length his dyno adjusts out to, drum centre to front wheel brace upright... the Rocket doesn't fit on every dyno in my experience.

I knew that I came to the right place for advice. That wouldn't have occurred to me and would have been no fun to find out the intended day of...

Also what are you expecting to tune with, power commander?
If so it'll be a safe bet they can use it

Yes- a power commander.

Oh yes and ask the man you're buying the stuff from, he knows a thing or 2 about Rockets and dynos :)

Absolutely

I can get to Swannanoa without getting on the interstate and it’s a day ride. :rolleyes::pBTW your bike will be broke in after the dyno session. They will do that progressively tuning to the higher rpms. I’m think the R3 requires a little different approach than the HDs.

Who is doing the parts install? If you are doing it then Neville can send you a base tune via Tune ECU to get you over to Knoxville the Custom Cycle Corner can finish you up with a PCV.

Ask Neville what he thinks of my guys in Knoxville. If you do go local you might be fine though.

Trailer it there its just all around safer for the bike. I mean being stuck on Knoxville might not be bad with all the food around. I'm not trying to jinx you but lord if some type of problem comes up you'll have wheels for sure. And if no problems come up you'll still have wheels and a tuned bike in tow.

Just thinking out loud !!!!

I'd like to get a first-grade lesson from someone on what happens with the dyno. I know they are measuring torque and hp and adjusting fuel/air ratios, but is it more of a science or an art? If it's a science then you would think someone who knows how to operate the machine should be able to do a good job, but now artists are fewer and farther between.

Once done with a power commander can I then save the tune in TuneECU, or do you have to keep the power commander attached? Sorry, if this all is too basic, but I like to understand how "stuff" works. ;)

I'd do the trailer thing if I was worried. Come stay at our house we are 40 minutes away and a zero motel bill.

That's very generous of you Mel. I may just take you up on it. When exactly all this finally comes to pass may be up to Triumph getting me the install parts.

Thanks

Back