pwrjunkie80

.040 Over
Hey guys. Getting the d&d pipes for my 30th bday! I was going to do the triple KN filter mod seeing as though Power commander already has a map for that setup. Does any one here run that configuration? If so do you have the dyno numbers?

Thanks

Tim

No, but the description of that PCIII map doesn't say "Dynojet O2 controller installed". You should check with Dynojet about that. I don't see how the PCIII can work right without it.

Also, the PCIII maps are created with the bone stock (stock mufflers, filled catalytic converter) Triumph tune in the ECU. So, if you're going to use a canned PCIII map, you need to have Triumph load their bone stock tune (20222) into your bike if it's not already in there.

No, but the description of that PCIII map doesn't say "Dynojet O2 controller installed". You should check with Dynojet about that. I don't see how the PCIII can work right without it.

Also, the PCIII maps are created with the bone stock (stock mufflers, filled catalytic converter) Triumph tune in the ECU. So, if you're going to use a canned PCIII map, you need to have Triumph load their bone stock tune (20222) into your bike if it's not already in there.
If he's going to pull out the secondaries it doesn't make much difference. I ran that exact tune with the same set-up. The shop that sold me the PCIII even installed the program before they shipped it. It came with the O2 plug-in, and of course I plugged it in. Worked great.
I had the D&D's, triple K&N's, secondaries removed and that stupid triumph aftermarket exhaust tune. With the secondaries pulled out, the tune was fine. But since I couldn't leave well enough alone, I had it dyno tuned at a dynojet shop. They tweeked a couple boxes and got an additional token few HP's and FtLbs, You are welcome to a copy of the final tune if you want it.

This is actually pretty confused. Dyno tunes are generally done in 4th gear. So, if as they claim, DynoJet uses the base tune, 20222, which has the secondaries open 100% in 4th and 5th, to create its canned tunes, their trim map won't be valid for 1st-3rd gear because the ECU thinks the secondaries are partially closed in those gears. The only tune which has the same secondaries numbers in all gears is 20226 (for Triumph off road exhaust). DynoJet's canned tune won't work right with 20226 in your bike. However, if you remove the secondaries, load the 20226 tune, and have your PCIII custom tuned, the trim map should work right in all gears.

As far as I know the previous owner did nothing in the way of changing the stock tune. He would have no reason to. I always thought that the power commander's purpose was to bypass the stock ECU anyway. I just installed the power commander and the o2 sensor eliminator on the bike and installed power commander's "stock" tune. Slightly confused myself. So its not as easy as uploading the new map after the mods?

Tim

PC works with the Triumph tune-it does not replace it as such. It modifies the cells. FWIW I used the PC3 canned tune with my Jardines and it needed quite a bit of tweaking on the dyno. I picked up several hp but the air/fuel ratio was really much better after the dynotune. Having seen this several times now on canned tunes I would say a dynotune to finish the job is a must. None of the canned tunes were correct out of the box-they were in the ballpark but each time they were made better by enough that it was worth it.

I have a budget for my present this year and was hoping not to have to get it custom tuned. So somethings gotta give. I was thinking of foregoing the filter mod and leaving the KN filter in there now, plus the D & D pipes, then get it tuned. I had this setup on my previous rocket. It made 135 hp and 150 tq. Dosent look like the triple filters make a really big difference do they?

Tim

I have a budget for my present this year and was hoping not to have to get it custom tuned. So somethings gotta give. I was thinking of foregoing the filter mod and leaving the KN filter in there now, plus the D & D pipes, then get it tuned. I had this setup on my previous rocket. It made 135 hp and 150 tq. Dosent look like the triple filters make a really big difference do they?

Tim
The triples made a big difference to me, having a free flow exhaust without a free flow intake seems silly. ;)
I wouldn't waste any money on a tune until you have everything in place, otherwise it will just have to be done again later.
Removing the secondaries is FREE, (3) K&N RU-2780's and (1) K&N 62-1340 for the crank case breather is around $150, and a GiPro $165. You said you already have a PCIII right? Get the tune for D&D's (FREE), remove the secondaries (FREE) and install the filters. If you run out of money, stop there for awhile. Later on get a GiPro. Then if you have the money, go ahead and get it tuned.

Back