Dyno Day coming on Friday

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
So in a rather irritating and long ordeal to try and get my bike tune PERFECT, I started from scratch on a new tune, the old one having some slightly strange minor quirks I couldn't sort out.

Initially I planned on using Tuneedit live tuning via tuneboy, but because getting an ECU key is like winning the power ball, I have since scrapped that plan, should I get a key, maybe I'll switch... maybe.

As a result of scrapping my old tune and starting from scratch I have this little gem in my data log:
Yellow - AFR
Red - Throttle Position
White - RPM
Green - MAP
3rd Gear
1.jpg

Its holding a nice steady AFR between 13.0 and 13.4 all the way to redline, hard to see in the graph a bit because of how slowly the ECU sends data, causing lumpiness in the lines.

Dyno comes Friday at 0900, hoping to break the 160 mark, will post graphs of Ramair + CES + my new tune Friday afternoon!

Getting excited :p Took her down to the local "cop free" desolate road today and she did something she's never done before....

Roll it open quickly but not snappy in 1st, I try not to snap 1st open as it usually ends up in smoke, and she powered the front wheel up about a foot and held it there from about 4k to redline with me leaning forward as I always do under WoT out of habit. Only other bikes I've had power up like that without snapping the throttle open are some of the 1k sport bikes, but most will stay down if you lean over the front :p

A nice hint that I got this tune right!

Well, initial results are back, sadly I had the tune off by a good bit. Made some adjustments and having it redone in a bit, looks like 160 might be "just" attainable.

EDIT: Got the a single pull, the tech was busy, and no print out :/ Grrr, but at least he took the time while he was swamped to throw a new tire on my rear (G852), and strap the rocket down for a pull. Results

153.8 hp 6000 RPM to redline, the normal shape rockets have that are piped
149 peak lbft (yeah, its a bit lower than I expected) and 140+ lbft from 2800 - 5800 ish

I only get a second to glance at the screen and confirm my tune edits fixed what needed fixing over 5000 RPM.

All things considered (92f/40%humidity), street developed tune, custom ignition map, and the ozclaw not really helping flow any while sitting on a dyno (im sure it helps on the move though), I think it landed right about where it should have. Maybe another 5hp(ish) carp/nev/wayne/powertripp could pull out of it, but its close enough :p

Last edited:
Well should anyone need a safe starting point tune for a CES equipped R3R this downloads from my googledrive:

Well, initial results are back, sadly I had the tune off by a good bit. Made some adjustments and having it redone in a bit, looks like 160 might be "just" attainable.

EDIT: Got the a single pull, the tech was busy, and no print out :/ Grrr, but at least he took the time while he was swamped to throw a new tire on my rear (G852), and strap the rocket down for a pull. Results

153.8 hp 6000 RPM to redline, the normal shape rockets have that are piped
149 peak lbft (yeah, its a bit lower than I expected) and 140+ lbft from 2800 - 5800 ish

I only get a second to glance at the screen and confirm my tune edits fixed what needed fixing over 5000 RPM.

All things considered (92f/40%humidity), street developed tune, custom ignition map, and the ozclaw not really helping flow any while sitting on a dyno (im sure it helps on the move though), I think it landed right about where it should have. Maybe another 5hp(ish) carp/nev/wayne/powertripp could pull out of it, but its close enough :p
What make Dyno was used ? Carpenter gets 165 to 175 hp and 165 + trq Thats with the Carp Exhausts BUt with the CES And Rebands around 150 to155 HP

Dynojet, not sure on the model, probably a 250i, seems to be what all the other shops around here have. Tried looking on their site, can't even find mention that they have a dyno, but its a really nice sound proof cell.

I'll be in touch with the shop next week. I need to talk to you guys about shipping the bike there late this year and riding it home to wherever I live Mainland next year.

That said, you are the second reputable tuner to get in touch, and it seems I'm right where I should be, it's a nice feeling of validation of effort!

Last edited:
All interesting reading as I'm about to get my 2014 Roadster on the Dynojet Dyno on the 30th. I have tors, Ramair and PCV so am wondering what I will end up with. I do know since putting the ramair on things are a bit more lively,

Back