Ducati Scrambler for fun on/off road bike

Robm422

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket iii roadster
First I must say that nothing can replace my RIIIR as my number 1 bike. But I just found out about the new ducati scrambler, and that bike just looks like a fun bike to mess around on. I'm thinking about getting one as a bike to throw in the back of the truck when we go camping, explore dirt trails, go to the market, pull wheelies on, justa goof around kind of bike. Is anybody else intrigued with this bike??

scrambler1.jpg scrambler2.jpg I dunno, I had a chance to ogle it in person at the bike show the other week, and they're sweet looking bikes. As a second ride to add to the Rocket they would be perfect. Reviews are also pretty much universally positive. I didn't get a lot of bike lust at the show - I'm apparently very happily married to a Rocket Touring and not looking too much - but the Scrambler did pique my interest.

@Robm422 they do look cool. However, especially in Cali, make sure it is allowed to ride offroad. I asked at the last two bike shows I have been to (VA and MD) about being offroad legal with that exhaust and both times the rep dodged the question.
I know a dirt only bike needs a permit in California, at least they did when I was stationed there. Dual sport bikes didn't need that as long as they passed the anti fire regulations and were registered. Other states will not allow a low slung exhaust like the Ducs to be ridden off road at all regardless of spark arresters.

Ducati has high pipes for it in the pipeline or so I hear, plus other exhaust options.

Not dissing the Triumph Scrambler as a choice either, of course... but I do like the Duc.

Nice looking bike, but I still prefer the triumph scrambler. Looks more rugged and practical to me (based on pure visual impression, all reviews of the duc I've read indicate it's proficient on and off road).

Neither the Ducati nor the Triumph Scrambler, as delivered, are really suited for much more than maintained dirt roads. A KLR is cheaper and better suited to off road riding while still being able to travel the interstates, if necessary, to get to those off road areas.

The Ducati has more power and weighs less than the Triumph, so for paved roads its likely superior. I'm sure magazines will quickly publish comparison tests as the bikes are so similar, not to mention the name of course. That said, I might consider trading my R3T for the new Ducati. I'm not traveling as much as I used to and my rides are shorter. The idea of going back to a basic, lightweight motorcycle is becoming quite appealing. That and I've always thought I'd like to own a Ducati before I'm done.

I might wait a few years for them to hit merely extortionate prices used over here and then have a child so I can sell my first born to pay for one, but time will tell.

I'm thinking the same way as you, Harry, except for the Ducati part. Mine WILL be a Triumph. Only question is when (sooner rather than later) - and which colour.

Back