Driveshaft Spline Lube

Busaboy

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I'm getting ready to order a new rear tire so I want to be prepared. I have read many conflicting opinions on the web debating the "best" Moly paste to use on the driveshaft splines. Honda M77 (Dow Corning Molykote?) seems to be the first choice. One contender not mentioned much is Bel-Ray assembly lube with 40% Moly. If you just look at cost/OZ, Belray seems to be the clear winner ($15 for 10 OZ). Some prefer to make their own blend, M77 and grease. It seems the Bel-Ray has this covered.

I'm getting ready to order a new rear tire so I want to be prepared. I have read many conflicting opinions on the web debating the "best" Moly paste to use on the driveshaft splines. Honda M77 (Dow Corning Molykote?) seems to be the first choice. One contender not mentioned much is Bel-Ray assembly lube with 40% Moly. If you just look at cost/OZ, Belray seems to be the clear winner ($15 for 10 OZ). Some prefer to make their own blend, M77 and grease. It seems the Bel-Ray has this covered.
If I were you I would check with the local Honda dealers to see if they have any Moly 60 still in stock. You might get lucky. I used it for quite some time with great results, before I picked up a free tub of MolyKote from a unnamed defense contractor :D

If I were you I would check with the local Honda dealers to see if they have any Moly 60 still in stock. You might get lucky. I used it for quite some time with great results, before I picked up a free tub of MolyKote from a unnamed defense contractor :D

You can still get the original 3 OZ tubes on ebay.

Honda Molly 60%. I have my tube from 8 years ago. Just put the 4th new tire on last week. Did the shaft and wheel splines every time. Still have plenty left over.

Honda Molly 60%. I have my tube from 8 years ago. Just put the 4th new tire on last week. Did the shaft and wheel splines every time. Still have plenty left over.
I cannot get my hands on mly60 anymore so I searched and found this dana spicer extra HD grease for heavy machinery and semi-trailers

Loctite does a 65% Moly paste.

Found this on The M77
The temp. rating for the M77 is 450 deg. The temp rating for Moly 60 is 750 deg. in a sliding application and 1500 deg. in a non sliding application. DEFINITELY NOT the same animal.

Personally I think that for the AVERAGE user who's not always fully stressing the splines - something like 4WD "One-Shot" Moly grease would be enough.

The grease component matters as it keeps water at bay. MoS2 is very hydrophilic.

My mate Colin supplied me with a tube of Honda 60 so I'll use that 'til it runs out.

That or buy some of this - KG-7 Moly Powder - I have loads of it for lubing bullets. :whitstling:

Back