Drive Shaft spring missing

Namikuz

Rev'em high, Rev'em HARD!!!
Ride
2005 R3
Well I went to Houston Texas to pick up the Rocket....fixed the #1 misfire , vacuum hose to map disconnected, fixed the wiring for idle circuit, and had a great ride home....mostly, around 900-ISH miles, I developed a , for a lack of a better description, a pinion or U-joint vibration(I made it home to Slaterville, (Northern Utah). On throttle, rough, part throttle, hear and feel something, off throttle rumbling and a bit rough.I checked with a stethoscope, It's coming from the shaft tube area, not in the bevel drive, no noise from the rear engine case, pulled the wheel, no spring in the shaft end. How important is that spring? Will the shaft move back enough to cause the u-joint to rub the tube? ANY ONE KNOW???
Yes I am going to order the spring...(if I can get one.)

I doubt it would impact the swing arm...can't imagine there's much more than about 20mm maximum movement at the bevel end

Took my stethoscope and went back at it.....no noise from engine, the further back in the torque tube, the more prominent the noise/feeling. I removed the wheel and bevel box, noise gone (I took a clutch alignment tool and incerted it into the spring bore on the drive shaft to hold it centered)
The bevel box is silky smooth when rotated by hand, reinstall the bevel box with out the wheel and the noise/feeling comes back, that leaves the shaft and bevel box splines.... very dry, to the point of...red dust.
I believe I have the culprit....now, what to do.....pack it with Molly D and hope for the best I supose?.....UNLESS somebody can chime in and suggest some thing I over looked?

Pretty sure the red dust you are looking at is dry moly but I could be wrong. Gease with moly and re-assemble. Should be fine

Not really. I use Yamalube but I'm sure someone will come along with a more technical reason to use a specific product soon enough

Took my stethoscope and went back at it.....no noise from engine, the further back in the torque tube, the more prominent the noise/feeling. I removed the wheel and bevel box, noise gone (I took a clutch alignment tool and incerted it into the spring bore on the drive shaft to hold it centered)
The bevel box is silky smooth when rotated by hand, reinstall the bevel box with out the wheel and the noise/feeling comes back, that leaves the shaft and bevel box splines.... very dry, to the point of...red dust.
I believe I have the culprit....now, what to do.....pack it with Molly D and hope for the best I supose?.....UNLESS somebody can chime in and suggest some thing I over looked?
I didn't have moly BUT to test, I filled the bevel drive splined socket with CV joint lube and reassembled.... much smoother...
Now for some proper moly, a V.I.N inspection, a tire and register.......

Back