Drive Shaft Removal

cktire

.060 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III Standard
Hello,
I've looked at the manual and I can't figure this out.
Can I remove the drive shaft without removing the rear swing arm? I think I have a bad universal joint and want to take a look. Seems pretty easy if I don't need to remove swing arm. Does it slide right out after removing final drive?
My local dealer can't look at the bike for 8 weeks. I did read somewhere that the universal joint is not replaceable. I guess I'll buy the drive shaft if I need to. Hate to shut the bike down too long in the middle of the summer.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Carl

Hello,
I've looked at the manual and I can't figure this out.
Can I remove the drive shaft without removing the rear swing arm? I think I have a bad universal joint and want to take a look. Seems pretty easy if I don't need to remove swing arm. Does it slide right out after removing final drive?
My local dealer can't look at the bike for 8 weeks. I did read somewhere that the universal joint is not replaceable. I guess I'll buy the drive shaft if I need to. Hate to shut the bike down too long in the middle of the summer.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Carl

Swing arm has to come off to pull the shaft.
Really not a big deal.

Yes Seeya is right swing arm has to come down. Pretty easy job and a good time to do some cleaning under the unit. Drive shaft will not be cheap if memory serves me right.

Yes Seeya is right swing arm has to come down. Pretty easy job and a good time to do some cleaning under the unit. Drive shaft will not be cheap if memory serves me right.

Thanks fellows. I was afraid of that. I do need to check with the other dealers but just started thinking this weekend that I can actually work on the darn thing right up to the transmission. It's just nuts and bolts!
Last winter I had to replace an O-ring on the oil tank and had to take a bunch of the top half of the bike apart. It was hard to believe how tight spaced everything was. Hours of work for a 10 cent part. Figured if I can do that I can take the bottom half apart.
Kind of annoyed I can't just buy the U joint.
Carl

Carl with your engineering background you should be able to do most everything on the Rocket. Some you might have to take a little more time and read but you can do it.

I am not a mechanic and have been able to fumble around pretty good.

Think you better be sitting down when you make the call on a price for a new driveshaft ... if just about every other part on a Rocket is anything to go by. Know that a new diff is $5,000 here in Oz.... I'd be looking real hard for a new universal joint .

Carl with your engineering background you should be able to do most everything on the Rocket. Some you might have to take a little more time and read but you can do it.

I am not a mechanic and have been able to fumble around pretty good.

Hi Warp,
I'm no mechanic and I don't have an engineering background. I grew up as a semi mechanic working at Sears and the like.
I can fix a lot of things until it has a wire attached.
I'm not even sure it's the drive shaft. I know I can't rebuild the trans. If I get too deep I'll just have ot trailer it somewhere. Been a good bike these past eight years. I can't complain.
Thanks,
Carl

Think you better be sitting down when you make the call on a price for a new driveshaft ... if just about every other part on a Rocket is anything to go by. Know that a new diff is $5,000 here in Oz.... I'd be looking real hard for a new universal joint .

Hey Tomcat,
What the heck is going on over there. Steel is expensive and they can't swim fast enough! I checked Bike Bandit and the shaft with the u joint is $300. I'm not happy about paying $300 for a $20 joint but they just don't sell it seperately.
If I can get the problem fixed for $300 I'll throw the part on and go my merry way.
Thanks,
Carl

Well there you go, $300 ... would have thought it would have cost 3 or 4 times that . Glad you've on the way to gettin it sorted.

Back