Dreaded Starter Click Question...

John Ward

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 Classic 2008
Ey up people...

About a 1000 miles ago I started getting the old click and no cranking from the starter... read up on here and bought the solenoid rebuild kit off eblag and everything was fine and dandy..... well the dam thing has started doing it again.. fine when cold but after riding and letting it cool for around an hour all you get is click click… its deffoo the solenoid clicking again and when it does spin the motor it whips it round and starts on the button... meanwhile I did see a tip on here about putting it in gear n rock it back and forth then start it which works every time… but how does this work if the starter is not engaged in the first place??? I can understand it if starter was stuck in the engaged position but its not...so how does the rocking movement in gear enable it to start when I get the click noise..? am I missing summat simple here??? And as this appears to work does the fault lie elsewhere and not the starter??? Confused..

well the theory is
that the starter bendex is not matching with the teeth on the flywheel. so by rocking it u change to a better set of teeth on the flywheel and it starts.
there was some one else (do not know who) that had the same prob and i think he found his prob with the grounds and just rocking it changed the grounds and it started.
i have not heard of a rocket that had a bad flywheel (ground off teeth.)

Clutch switch sensor?
Mibe has done it for years, i feather the clutch out and it starts just fine

Clutch switch sensor?
Mibe has done it for years, i feather the clutch out and it starts just fine
The clutch switch would inhibit any starter action, so it wouldn’t even click if it was the clutch switch.
I would look at power cable connections from the battery to the starter and solenoid.

The clutch switch would inhibit any starter action, so it wouldn’t even click if it was the clutch switch.
I would look at power cable connections from the battery to the starter and solenoid.
Like i said, mine has done that for years, replaced the switch in 2006 and it started acting up again 2 years later, by accident i got it to start by releasing the clutch slightly, i do that ever since, yours may not be the same problem but consider all the possible case scenarios, good luck.

I always assumed that rocking it released the compression in cylinders making the flywheel easier to start spinning with lower voltage.

I recently found a problem with mine after installing the repair kit.
I had taken my time making sure the contact were flat when I put them in; but evidently applied too much torque to the nuts when re-installing the battery cable.
That contact had more "burn" marks one the left side. :(

I've set the contacts flat again and applied less force on the cable vs the contact. If I get clicks & a left burned contact again I'll set em flat and use two nuts to lock the cable without adding torque to the contact.

Cheers guys am gonna whip the starter off and have a look to see how the rebuild kit is doing.. started fine today and behaved itself!

Back