Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
i have found a dragslick and a rim and was wondering if anyone may have some advice on what to expect? Thanks

Attachments

• CED33BAE-1908-4058-968C-BFE09597E20F.png
    CED33BAE-1908-4058-968C-BFE09597E20F.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 33
Kevin it is my opinion that a special tire for the drag strip is not necessary. Just lower the tire pressure of your street tire to 28 to 30 psi when at the drag strip.
Im hoping for 5 to 10 mph gain and .50 for a sub 7sec 1/8. Will see and just .50 is hugh gain. I gain alot over stock with lush racing parts over 10 moh and around 1sec. If im totally off its gonna look cool :cool: im just trying to put on a show for the crowd, the widowmaker is a fan favorit, sometimes he will jump off the ground making rider almost fall off, and sometimes he spins and shows his hips to the fans. But so far hes roared across the tape win or loose giving it all

You will be the envy of the drag strip if you can find a 16" colored smoke tire.

Shinko makes a Smoke Bomb tire in Blue, Purple and Red but only in 17"...

Shinko-SmokeBomb.jpg

I need something like this for my old gal. 215/60/R16

orange-tire burnout.jpg

Never had a slick on a bike, but i can tell you nearly every drag racer that put slicks on their hotrod quickly found the weak point of their drive line, myself included
I rolled the unreinforced leaf spring mounts and pulled the pinion right out my 9" diff. When inspecting the driveshaft, i found the toploader output yoke also had twisted splines. This was on a 65 fastback with a mild 302.

Two things likely to happen: first you will wheelie so plan on moving your butt on top of the gas tank and, secondly, your stock clutch basket will explode at some point if you power shift often. Fix that and next the bevel gear box will complain about the load, meaning the pinion gear bearings and teeth will be damaged and then fail (probably no fun to ride when the back wheel locks up at about 80mph.) Overall, not a good idea to use a slick on a street bike.

As suggested, use front and rear tire air pressure adjustments along with shock and fork tuning to get the traction you need, but not too much.

Two things likely to happen: first you will wheelie so plan on moving your butt on top of the gas tank and, secondly, your stock clutch basket will explode at some point if you power shift often. Fix that and next the bevel gear box will complain about the load, meaning the pinion gear bearings and teeth will be damaged and then fail (probably no fun to ride when the back wheel locks up at about 80mph.) Overall, not a good idea to use a slick on a street bike.

As suggested, use front and rear tire air pressure adjustments along with shock and fork tuning to get the traction you need, but not too much.
Slicks will probably lower et's but will cause any weaknesses in drive train to show up and probably cause bigger wheelies. What tire pressure do they recommend running? The pros are running them in nhra. Probably see them at local tracks, ask some of those riders.

Back