Downshifting???

Dawg68

Nitrous
Ride
2014 R3R / 2017 R3T
Good day all;
Forgive me in advance if this seems like a dumb question.
If the R3R produces 147ft-lbs of torque @ 2500 rpm. On the highway @ 100kmh the tach reads aproximatly 2250rpm. With a slight twist of the throttle I'm over 2500rpm accelerating quickly. Is there a reason to downshift to 4th to pass? Or am I looking at this wrong, is it peak HP I'm trying to achieve by downshifting which is at 5750 rpm?

All this is with respect to a stock bike.

Thanks

if a twist gives you sufficient acceleration, then just twist... but downshifting will give you more acceleration, because your hp to intertia ratio will improve...

Peck (Vale) and I swapped bikes on the Hyway to Esk when my Rocket had about 5000k's on it. I was following him on on his Fatboy that had about 140000k's on it. We caught a car doing about 130kph he just opened the throttle on the Roadster in top gear and was gone. When we got to Esk pub he couldn't stop talking about how he was doing 190kph by the time he got past the car.

That's where Rockets really sing .. those 'speed limit' roll ons when overtaking .. or chasing breakaways from the pack ( like the previous three posters)

My understanding is that;

Power is the rate at which work is done, where Torque is the amount of force applied: therefore

Power = how many bangs there are (RPM)
Torque = how big the bangs are

Power therefore is important if you want to get past that car fast, but the advantage of torque is that you don't necessarily have to downshift because HP = Torque x RPM

A low torque engine requires high RPM. The Rocket doesn't :evil:

Last edited:
Back